Pug 106 - MOT failure - a.j
Today my pug 106 failed mot on fuel emitions,the test centre said i need a new cat and lamda sensor does this sound right i have no reason to not believe them but just want some reasurance any advise would be helpful ta Andrew,
Pug 106 - MOT failure - thomp1983
id say it was odd to need both together but maybe someone knows different. did you give the car a good hard run before the mot? that usually helps with the emissions, where the figures close or quite far over the mark?

chris
Pug 106 - MOT failure - Screwloose
a.j.

Any chance that you've had any of this dodgy petrol? Most cases will only show up at MOT time. Getting an new Lambda probe [aka oxygen sensor] could be a bit tricky. There's quite a few on back order.

What were the actual figures? What's the year; engine code and mileage?
SCREWLOOSE The car is a 1995 m reg 1.1 petrol with 109,000 mls it failed on fast idle test co+natural idle test co so i think it failed on the co on all 3 tests.
a.j.

They must have given you the print-out from the gas analyser; Do you have the exact figures?
Print out says FAST IDLE TEST - CO LIMIT <0.30% ACTUAL 0.56% FAIL
SECOND FAST IDLE TEST -CO LIMIT <0.30% ACTUAL 0.56%
NATURAL IDLE TEST CO LIMIT <0.50% ACTUAL 2.20% FAIL
Then there is a simble like a upside down y i think this is the lambda reading it says,
FAST IDLE LIMITS 0.970-1.030 ACTUAL 1.056 FAIL
SECOND IDLE SAME ACTUAL 1.056 FAIL

On the failure sheet it says-
Exhaust emissions Lamda reading after second fast idle excessive.
Exhaust emmisions cabon monoxide content after second fast idle evcessive.

Hope this makes sense ta Andrew.
Andrew

Unless the MOT station did some further checks; then their diagnosis of Lambda probe [oxygen sensor] and cat failure was a guess. Maybe a good one; but still a guess?

They could be right on those figures; but there's many other things that can also cause high readings. Air leaks into the exhaust near the oxy sensor; coolant temp sensor failure; contaminated oil - even sensor plug corrosion.

Your best next step is to get a diagnostic garage to read the fault-codes and live data on you car and determine the exact reason for the problem. Simply changing parts on a "best guess" basis can often work out very expensive if it's just the same afterwards.

What about the bad fuel; there are thousands of cases, identical to this, coming up every day - were you affected?
No it is not fuel the car has not been used for 2months so the last fuel was put in before the resent problem,i share the same thoughts as you regading guessing what could be wrong i have priced up Lambda 35+vat and cat £55 i only have 10days to return for partial retest and don't want to buy new parts and find problem still there,as you suggested i make take car for a second opinion before i do anything else.
a.j.

If you can find a genuine Lambda probe for a PSA car, then you're a better man than me. Gold dust is common compared to them.

Anyone with stock could virtually name their own price. [See e-bay - even the tat is £70!] A £55 cat may be worse than useless; cheap cats seem to cause more aggravation than they cure.

Shame it's not the fuel; you could have got all this done for nothing.
Pug 106 - MOT failure - Rattle
The diagnoses is the garages problem, get them to do a quote and make it clear you cannot afford more than that. The bill for a new cat and lamda won't be cheap on a PSA as others have said.