Citroen Xsara Stereo - hillman1 {p}
Hi there,

Recently bought a 2001 Xsara with standard fit cd autochanger. The problem I have is that whilst there is power going to the unit (you can put cd's in) it won't play. When you press the button on the head unit nothing happens. As best as I can I have checked the connections, both going into the unit and also into the back of the stereo itself and I have also changed the fuse. In addition to this the steering column mounted remote controls don't work either. The main radio

Any ideas? My wife would love to listen to her cd's and it would give me a quieter life as well!

Many thanks
Citroen Xsara Stereo - jc2
You could get her a personal CD player.
Thanks for the suggestion. It may work, but I would like to get the stereo going as well in case I need to drive it- you can only listen to Radio 2 for so long before going insane!
Citroen Xsara Stereo - bignick
As the steering wheel controls don't operate I'd suspect the head unit is faulty or possibly not the original. Does the radio frequency etc display correctly in the LCD above the radio?
Hi, thanks for the suggestion. I am pretty certain that it is the original stereo, if it isn't it is definitely one that citroen use on cars of that age. The display works perfectly on the lcd screen.

Citroen Xsara Stereo - bignick
Still sounds like a faulty head unit or wiring. IIRC there are 3 banks of connectors on the unit - upper bank is power etc, second is speaker connections (these are obviously all ok) the lower bank is for the auxiliary connections (blue plugs I think) you should have two leads going there - one from the steering wheel controls and one from the CD changer.
Thanks for the suggestion- I will have another look at the wiring!
I may be thick... but IIRC?
Citroen Xsara Stereo - Dynamic Dave
I may be thick... but IIRC?

If I Recall Correctly
Citroen Xsara Stereo - LeePower
A 2001 Xsara is going to be multiplexed, its CAN, maybe CAN - VAN or CAN - BUS on these.

Plug it in to a Citroen dealers diag2000 tool & see what it says, also have the BSI & ECU software updated at the same time.