Honda Accord immobiliser? - apm
Hi all,

Recently, the MiL to be's Accord has been misbehaving. It's a 2000 X plate 2.0iS, 81k, generally very reliable & a great car. Anyway, what happens is that the engine cuts out, and a green light with a picture of a key flashes on the dash. It has happened while driving along (turning off and restarting seems to cure), but more frequently when starting- the car will start then cut out; takes a few goes to start properly.

Basically, I'm suspecting the immobiliser. Trouble is, it there's a transponder in the key, it's not obvious how to change the battery (just a key with a rubber top bit, no obvious flaps to open. There is a plipper, but the spare key is without one, so can't be in there!

I'm loathe to take it to Honda, as I suspect it'll be expensive!!

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Alex.
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.
Honda Accord immobiliser? - Frogeye
There is a coil around the ignition switch, which "talks" to the transponder chip in the key head. I believe that the coil is unreliable on some cars, not sure if this applies to Honda. Transponder (Transhonda?) does not have a battery, gets its power from the coil.
Honda Accord immobiliser? - R75
Transponder chips are molded into the top bit of the key on Honda's.
Honda Accord immobiliser? - elekie&a/c doctor
I would think this is more likely to be an ignition switch fault.This model was subject to a recall and replacement of the switch for this cutting out problem.Suggest check with Honda dealer if this applies to your car.hth
Honda Accord immobiliser? - grease monkey
elekie&a/c doctor is spot on with his diagnosis,i`ve changed loads of these at work,the recall was quite a while ago now,but there are still plenty of cars around that have slipped through the net !
--
if it aint broke don`t fix it
Honda Accord immobiliser? - apm
Nice one, guys! Just goes to show, this is the place to come when you need advice. Will give Honda a call tomorrow.

Have a great w/e,

Alex
--
Dr Alex Mears
MG BGT 1971
If you are in a hole stop digging...unless
you are a miner.