Worth persuing? - stunorthants26
My van has been damaged AGAIN, this time in the local car park. The rear wing is again bent badly. Needless to say, Im throughly pink fluffy diced off.

Anyway, first question - there is CCTV covering the carpark - is it possible to find out who did it using this CCTV as they didnt leave any details?

Further on from that, is it an offense to damage someones car and then drive away?

I dont really intend to persue this unless its worth it and possible to identify who did the damage, but id be interested to know if I can find out who the idiot was and try and claim from them.
Worth persuing? - daveyjp
"Anyway, first question - there is CCTV covering the carpark - is it possible to find out who did it using this CCTV as they didnt leave any details?"

Yes - you need to make a request to the operator of the CCTV under the Data Protection Act - you will need to state date and time of the video you want to see.

"Further on from that, is it an offense to damage someones car and then drive away?"

Yes - failure to report an accident - potentially serious consequences. A colleagues wife hit a van and never even noticed - she was reported by the van driver and ended up with 6 points.

My wife was in Asda a couple of weeks ago going to her car. She walked passed the disabled bays and despite the size of them a car was over the line. The car next to this was reversing out and gave the passenger door of the badly parked car a right clout leaving a severe dent. Someone walking across stopped the reversing driver, but then said - "they aren't parked properly, just drive off and forget about it!".

My wife left contact details but hasn't heard anthing.
Should I tell my insurer - ie would they persue the CCTV situation on my behalf?
I really dont want to have to pay my excess as things are a little tight at the moment - will I have to pay it in order for them to trace the driver?
Worth persuing? - local yokel
I can't see the insurer bothering. If you want the benefit I guess you'll have to do the leg work. Once you have the reg you'd have to talk to Plod /DVLA about getting the regd keeper details. Once you've got that info you can then persue them on their insurance and through the courts if they don't pay. No need to do more than inform your insurance co. at this stage unless the van is beyond economic repair.
Quiet honestly, unless its going to be easy, I cant be bothered - after my last claim, if I never have to speak to another insurer again, ill be happy.
How much is it roughly to respray a wing and stick some filler in it? I know its individual to the vehicle, but whats the ballpark for sorting one panel which needs a little beating out and filler?

The actual area that would need painting is only about 1 ft sq max and the actual dented area is about 6x5 ins, so its quite contained and theres a kink all the way along the rear wing that you could blend it into, so no need to do the whole wing.
Worth persuing? - Round The Bend
Stu, you have my sympathy. Happened to SWMBO recently as reported elswhere in the BR. No CCTV and blind trolley boy. Repair cost in region of £600 - cost to us was our excess, inconvenience and damage to our protected NCB.

Apart from the swines who seem to merrily bash into people's cars all day long without stopping to admit to the consequences of their actions, I hold the supermarkets and local authorities to account. Too often in their attempt to fit in as many spaces as possible, they paint the lines so that only owners of a Fiat Panda can park comfortably.

If you can access the CCTV to pursue this then do so.

_______
IanS
Worth persuing? - mare
Apart from the swines who seem to merrily bash into people's
cars all day long without stopping to admit to the consequences
of their actions, I hold the supermarkets and local authorities to
account. Too often in their attempt to fit in as many
spaces as possible, they paint the lines so that only owners
of a Fiat Panda can park comfortably.

The convention, like it or not, is for a 4.8m long x 2.4m wide space. Or 16' x 8'. There's no British Standard as such, it's convention. If it really annoys, lobby teh ODPM (or whatever it's called this week) to lay down a standard for new spaces in the building regulations. Same goes for garage doors.

As for OP Stu, given that from memory you're a valeter and presumably your clients see the van, then yes i'd get it sorted. If you regard it as just transport, leave it, it'll only get clouted again.
>>As for OP Stu, given that from memory you're a valeter and presumably your clients see the van, then yes i'd get it sorted. If you regard it as just transport, leave it, it'll only get clouted again.<<

Yes my clients do see the van, but its not immediately obvious as the bumper didnt crack so from the back, it looks fine. Its only the section of lower rear wing between the rear bumper casing and the rear arch, which is about 5-6 ins long. Its not damaged the arch either thankfully, so from a distance, it does look too bad.

Ive had a good look at it and while its not an ideal plan, Im going to try and push most of it out from behind and then fill the dent myself. Its not broken the paint anywhere, so I can take my time and get the shape right without rust worries ( its just everywhere else that the rust is a worry! ).

Its a shame Im having to do it at all but then we live in a society full of loathsome cretins and next time, Ill park somewhere else! I only parked in this carpark because its somewhat further away from the bank than where I usually park in order to get some exercise - who says exercise is good for you!