Renault Clio drop in idle speed changing - Hoby
I have a 1999 Renault Clio 1.4. The car starts fine but when I push in the clutch to change gear with the engine hot or cold the revs drop to about 100 then quickly recovers to 5-600. The engine does not cut out. Any bright ideas
Renault Clio drop in idle speed changing - Lud
Sounds as if the clutch thrust bearing is seized and dragging. If the clutch has never been replaced that's likely to be it. Does it make any noise?
Absolutely no noise or problems with the clutch. The only othere problem found is that the catalytical converter is blowing a little and will need replaced.
sorry, the car has only done about 70 miles in the last month.
Renault Clio drop in idle speed changing - cheddar
Sounds like common issue with the CTS (coolant temp sensor) confusing the ECU so not idling stabling when revs drop between gearchanges, though firstly take out the crank position sensor (on top of bellhousing next to block) and clean it with alcohol (gin or vodka will do) and refit, if still a problem change the CTS.
Thanks, I will try this. Although I think I'll drink the vodka and clean the sensor with methylated spirit but not in that order.
Checked the Haynes manual. Is it the coolant temperature sensor or the Injector temperature sensor. According to the manual the CTS feeds the temp gauge on dashboard.
Renault Clio drop in idle speed changing - cheddar
The CTS also tells the ECU the engine temp re cold starting / running, thus mixture richness.
Renault Clio drop in idle speed changing - sine
During normal driving the engine speed should not drop to idle speed during gear changes (unless you change gear at very low rpm)
Renault engines seem to have very little inertia which means you have to change gear quickly to achieve a smooth rev-matched change (or prod the accelerator during the gear change), i guess this helps make them 'nippy' for town driving.