Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - PaulC2004
Recently put my Terrano car in for service and on the test drive whilst driving the car after the service, the mechanic engaged the 4WD whilst the car was moving. The car then lost drive and they had to tow it back to the garage.

On inspection the clutch had broken with the inner part having sheared off from the outer part. There was no sign of clutch wear and tear.

Question is : do you have to engage the 4WD whilst the car is stationary or can you do it whilst moving.

I don't want to have to pay for the whole clutch replacement particularly as it wasn't my fault.

Also, myself and the previous owner have never used the 4WD.

Thanks and regards
Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - R75
Don't know about your Terrano, but the 4WD's I have owned (RangeRovers) have all had to be stationary to engage the 4WD. Same with Difflocks, vehicle must normally be stationary - does it say anything in the handbook?
Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - madf
It is STANDARD: only engage 4WD when stationary.

The mechanic is a muppet. Garage pays.
madf
Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - Brit_in_Germany
From recollection of my old Landy, 4WD had to engaged when stationary but high/low ratio could be changed on the move.
Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - daveyjp
'The Garage' TV programme had a Range Rover in which had been though a similar experience, it resulted in the clutch and transfer box being replaced - not cheap.
Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - defender
range rovers have permenant 4wd as have all land rovers since 1984, I doubt that engaging 4wd was the problem but if low range was selected at speed this could cause the clutch to shear due to the speed differance,unless of course 4wd was selected with one axle spinning wheels .
older land rovers could have 4wd selected on the move but range changes hed to be made while stopped or travelling fairly slow as is the case with most vehicles of this type,mitsubishi ,older subaru etc .diff lock can be selected on the move as long as wheels are not spinning
Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - Brit_in_Germany
Indeed - my memory is failing.

See paragraph 50:
www.landrover.ee/est/files/manuals/cars/sII/FFRser...f

Terrano:Broken clutch after engaging 4WD - nick
You can engage or disengage 4wd on a Toyota Hi-Lux up to 20mph (or maybe 30, can't be sure without looking).