Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Surrey_Scientist
I have a simple dehumdifying trap for my convertible when garaged, it relies on Calcium Chloride granules which sit in a grid in like a plastic "lunchbox" and absorb the moisture, then when liquid drip down to the bottom of the tin.

It is very effective, but I have come to the end of the sack of granules that came with it.

Can't remember where I bought it from,

Does anyone know of a High St retailer that sells the granules ??

I'm in SW Lonon - Sutton/Croydon area.

Woolworths and my local camping shop don't sell them and didn't know of anywhere either....

Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Doc
I don't know about Calcium Chloride, but I have obtained silica gel (which absorbs moisture) from my local chemist.

Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - mal
Not in the high street but is this any help?.

www.iscapoolcare.co.uk/subprod/water-hardener-calc...x
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Chris M
Robert Dyas sell it in 2.5 Kg pots.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Altea Ego
woolies sell it in 1kg bags
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - L'escargot
Do the job properly and get a dehumidifier for the garage. It will dehumidify everything ~ the structure of the garage and all the garage's contents including the inside of the car and the outside of the car. You can buy one now for under £100.
--
L\'escargot.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - glowplug
Just a quick question re dehumidifiers, how much electric do they use? My garage is a bit damp this time of year and so it could be a good idea.

Thanks.

Steve.
---
Xantia HDi. - Float on!
Just a quick question re dehumidifiers, how much electric do they
use?

Our latest acquisition is 180 W which equates to 2.3p/hour when it's running. However it has an adjustable "humidistat" which makes it switch off automatically when the humidity reaches the set level so long-term it costs much less than 2.3 p/hour. We bought our first (we now have two) about 1988. Brilliant invention.
--
L\'escargot.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Mazda-Man
Agree - we have several and they're very useful. Obviously the size and state of the garage in question is an issue but given that your crystals have apparently done the trick until now, the damp problem can't be that serious. As for power consumption - we have 2 smallish units which are rated at 220w but bear in mind that they won't be operational all the time so I'd imagine the cost of electricity wouldn't amount to very much.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - jc2
We've had one in our house for years-old house with solid walls-it's got rid of 99% of our condensation problems.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Aprilia
I doubt that a dehumidifier will work well in an unheated garage in winter. Most of the little ones I have seen (esp the thermoelectric ones) only work down to about 10-12 deg. C. The big ones that have proper refridegeration systems inside them are quite expensive and use a lot of power.
CaCl is pretty cheap and is effective down to just above freezing point.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Mazda-Man
The 4 units we have are all the refridgeration units and as I stated, the smallest consume 220w and cost £60 IIRC. They have fully adjustable 'humidistats' so do not operate constantly and hence don't draw full power all the time. One important factor for a garage set up would be to get a unit with a permanent drain facility as this will avoid you having to remember to empty the unit regularly to ensure it is always operational.
The big ones that have proper refridegeration systems
inside them are quite expensive and use a lot of power.

Our latest 180 W jobbie cost about £90.
--
L\'escargot.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - ForumNeedsModerating

>>It is very effective, but I have come to the end of the sack of granules that came with it.

Why can't you dry out the sludge/residue left behind & re-constitute by crumbling it back into granules - it should be totally
reversible.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - BazzaBear {P}
Focus sell a similar product to the one you describe - and refill packs for them too.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Screwloose
There is a dehumidifier that will work at low temps. It's called a Rubi-Dry; an absolutely stunning little tool.

www.dry-it-out.com/index.php?main_page=product_inf...7
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - jc2
My dehumidifier that I've had for years comes with a "low temperature" setting.This heats the coil when melting the ice(frozen condensation) instead of just drawing ambient air across the coils.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - Screwloose
My dehumidifier that I've had for years comes with a "low
temperature" setting.This heats the coil when melting the ice(frozen condensation) instead
of just drawing ambient air across the coils.

Most good refrigerant-type dehumidifiers have hot-gas defrost; it's their design that prevents them from working efficiently in unheated garages. They just don't extract much condensate for the electricity expended.

The near-silent silica-gel ones [like the Ruby-Dry/Amber-Dry] work best at low temps - horses for courses.

milkyjoe

I saw the machine advertised recently that would meet your stated requirements - it was called a butt welder.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - No FM2R
>>Why can't you dry out the sludge/residue left behind & re-constitute by crumbling it back into granules

Excellent idea. And to dry out the sludge/residue you could put it in a room with a dehumidifier (apparantly you can get one for under £100). Recycling at its best.
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - ForumNeedsModerating
>>Excellent idea. And to dry out the sludge/residue you could put it in a room with a dehumidifier (apparantly you can get one for under £100). Recycling at its best.

Would have thought an airing cupboard sufficient, although I swear by de-humidifiers - excellent for keeping a house dry & slightly warmer when you're
off for the w/e.

Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - milkyjoe
rubi-dry sounds like a remedy for dioreah after a night on the curry
Buy Dehumid Calcium chloride granules? - tyro
I swear by de-humidifiers - excellent for keeping a house dry &
slightly warmer when you're off for the w/e.

Another motoring use of dehumidifiers is that they provide a source of soft water. When you wash your car, give it a final rinse with dehumidifier water, and it shouldn't leave any streaks.