Seat adjustment advice - Kingpin
Hi, I wondered if anyone had some simple suggestions re drivers seat adjustment. I have driven a new shape Fiat Panda for the past 18 months and I appreciate it isn't the largest thing on the road. My previous car was a 2001 Punto that had quite more interior room, larger seats and a larger windscreen. I'm six foot tall (male) and find myself adopting a slouch behind the wheel. If I set the drivers seatback pretty vertical this makes me adopt an upright posture but then I find my view out of the windscreen is limited, especially with the sun visor down I can't see the traffic signals at lights and have to look through the side window for the green signal! Perhaps it is due to the seat height and windscreen size.
I read somewhere that when your seat is properly adjusted your clutch leg should be slightly bent at the knee and arms slightly bent but not straight at the elbow. When I adjust the seat to get this right I find I have a massive blind spot on my right shoulder, when stopping at junctions you are looking right into the side pillar between the front and rear doors. Also the centre console on the panda protrudes and there is nowhere for your left knee to go.
It may be just the car is too small, although in theory for cars 'one size fits all' it would be easier if I was only 5-7'' etc. The only car I remember that was similar was an original Mini back in the 80's where you always had a hunched driving position.
Reason for all this is I have got some back pain between my shoulder blades, feels like my spine is seizing up (2 hours per day commute) and wanted to get it sorted. Do you think some cars are a compromise on ergonomics - a larger car might be less restrictive allowing me to 'spread out' and not be cramped up.

Seat adjustment advice - Happy Blue!
Can you lower the seat, or is it fixed or at its lowest setting?

Certainly a poor driving position can cause many problems, and tall people do have difficulty finding the right car. Your 'ideal' seating position seems right although it is worthwhile experimenting.

You frequently hear that smaller basic cars are easier for taller people so am surprised at your problem. How about a Kangoo or similar?

Remember that the human frame is not designed for sitting, only standing or lying down, so a trip to the physio may be a good idea as well.
Seat adjustment advice - Chris M
I can sympathise with you as I am 6' 2". Despite people getting bigger, I don't think manufacturers have caught up. I too find seeing out of the windscreen with the sun visor down difficult and I have a large blind spot where the rear view mirror is.

You need to get your back problem sorted, as it can be very difficult to get hold of a new back once you have wrecked the one you have! Some cars can be comfy for short distances, but it's only after a hour or two that you notice any shortcomings.
Seat adjustment advice - Kingpin
Thanks for the ideas. Espada - no the seat base if fixed in my car, no height adjustment. Even if it had that feature I wouldn't want to jack the seat any higher. I think it is a case of too small car. Thinking back I used to drive a 1991 Metro and remember that had a small windscreen which you had to 'lean' to see through and when the visor was down practically zero visibility. Most cars are a compromise, the Panda is small and easy to park with a tight turning circle ideal for nipping to the shops but not that good for longer regular work where the shortcomings come to light. Perhaps time to find a Focus or something similar with more room.
Chris - I will get my back checked out by GP or osteopath this week.
I searched the forum earlier and found some past threads on the subject, one included a link to an Osteophathy website guide on car seats and driving which was very useful. I think it's one of the most fundamental aspects of car design but many models are flawed.
Seat adjustment advice - Happy Blue!
The cars I have found most comfortable (and I am only 5'7") have been a Volvo S80 (excellent seats) and my two Subaru's because they were/are a little higher, so easier to get into without twisting your back. In fact, I drove down to London from Manchester and back in a day twice in Jan/Feb in my Outback and on both occasions, I would have happily turned round and started all over again, I have never been a.ble to do that previously in any car including BMW 7-series and Mercs.

I remember many tall people writing into CAR years ago saying that the Renault 4 or 6 was the best car because there was so much headroom and visibility.
Seat adjustment advice - rustbucket
The most cofortable seats for me as I have a history of back problems due to driving are the vehicles that provide a sit up straight position with legs close to verticle.This takes away the pressure applied to the lower back when using clutch / brakes ect. Also these types of vehicle usually MPV's are easyer to get in and out of.Starangely though my daughter has a K plate Polo which I can drive comfortably. The worst which started my back problems was a Volvo V40.
--
rustbucket (the original)
Seat adjustment advice - Bill Payer
There is a suggested set up here: www.drivingergonomics.com

Go to Posture, and then download the "Initial Driving Position and Posture Guide".
Seat adjustment advice - Mookfish
I am 6' 3" and from my experiece the best seats are:

Saab 9000 (C reg and P reg)

Volvo 940 (J reg)

Renault 19 (H reg) had a rather upright driving position compared to fords and vauxhalls

And the worst:

Vauxhall Nova (worst by a long way, back ache within 5 miles)

Volvo 340

Every ford I've ever traveled in as an adult, both driving and as a front seat passenger.