VW starter/batt cable..what amp? - steveo3002
ive got various vw's ranging from 1300 -180016v

the battery /starter cables are getting old and ropey and id like to make new heavy duty ones

how do i figure what minimum spec cable is req ? id like to make them on the beefy side just to be sure

the wiring catalogue lists 110-415 cable
VW starter/batt cable..what amp? - Screwloose
Steveo

That 110-415 sounds like mains voltage cable - very unsuited to cars. Get yourself some proper automotive starter cable and end fittings from LSUK or a similar supplier.

Anything bigger than 30 sq.mm CSA will beef things up nicely. You can't really go too big; provided that you can get the ends on. Solder them on - no exceptions. You'll need a micro-flame blowlamp. [And maybe some practice..]
VW starter/batt cable..what amp? - steveo3002
maybe you misunderstood...the catalogue lists starter cable from 110 amps all the way up to 415 amp grades

ive used 4 gauge before and soldered it ok...im not sure how 4 guage compares to the amp ratings

i was thinking 40mm2 /300amp should be suitable...but want to make sure its plenty man enough
VW starter/batt cable..what amp? - Screwloose
Steveo

Sorry; that was just my [incorrect] inference from the juxtaposition of known mains voltages.

40sq.mm will be fine; get yourself some beefy shakeproof [toothed] washers and some terminal grease too. Then you'll really get a good, low-loss, connection on all the bolts.