Diesel car recommendations - ADH
I need to get a small family size diesel car (i.e. Astra size). I would not buy new, instead I would prefer to buy a 1 to 2 year old car. £9k max budget. I will be doing 18K miles per year and would be looking to keep the car for 5 years. Can anybody recommend what make / model might suit me best?

Thanks in advance

ADH
Re: Diesel car recommendations - steve
Peugeot diesels are amoung the best. Try and find a 306 in D Turbo spec. You can either go for a 1.9TD or the more recent 90bhp HDi whic is excellent, although you may have to go for an LX if you wanted the HDi as in D turbo mode it may still be a bit pricey.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - SKH
Absolutely: I've had my 306 XTDT for almost 7 years and 160K+ miles and would recommend Peugeot turbo diesels to anyone.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Guy Lacey aka Golf Geek
I had a Peugeot 306 D Turbo and they are good engines but beware of the hideous French build quality and electrics. I had a 4 year old car and it had more faults and niggles than my 10yr old Golf. Had it for 6 months and had to get rid of the thing.

If you want a car built like a tank then go for a Golf/A3 TDI - only trouble being you may have to go for a slightly older car as they tend to hold their value - especially the diesels. Or be brave and go for the Seat Ibiza or Skoda variants of the Golf/A3 - same engines in all four cars - different badges but you could then buy newer.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Miller
I know it is a bit bigger than the size you are after, but have you considered the skoda Octavia, nearly every other taxi up here in the north east is one of these, so they must have something going for them!
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Trevor Potter
Bloody good suggestion.

All car companies play "catch-up" with engine technology.

5 years ago the Pug had the best engine - for 3-4 years it has been VW - now (at last) Ford has woken up.

So, for 2-3 year old car, a VW Group motor is the business.

How about the Skoda Fabia - only 2 years old, but you might find one.

The VW 100bhp PD engine in that is now (at last) in the 2002 VW Polo .

Brilliant car, brilliant engine. Sorted.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Mahatma Coate
The Focus with the TDCi engine is pretty fine - doesn't sound like a diesel at all except at idle.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Bono Estente
Consider a Vectra, If you were buying petrol I'd prefer the Primera, but the Vauxhall has the better diesel these days.
You'd enjoy the extra space for very similar costs to the Astra, and the Vectra's unpopularity should mean you'll have cash left in your pocket.
The peugoet 406 is also another one to consider as they dont hold their value all that well, but are great cars. If you go for an HDI, go for the 110bhp as the 90bhp is a bit of a sloach(sp?).
Re: Diesel car recommendations - trevor
For this price range, consider a Citroen Xsara or Peugeot 306 diesel - preferably with the HDi.

The volkswagen/audi TDi unit is also excellent, though not as refined or 'driveable' (remembering you will be looking at the older non 'pd' versions) but still very desierable.

I predict that diesel car sales will take off this year because of many factors including the rapidly rising fuel prices, and increasing favour of diesels because of their tax advantages.
Agree with you that the 406 is one desirable car, but I didn't understand that Geordie word at the end???
hahahaha thats not a geordie word, i come from down south. I dont know how to spell the word wanted to use, i meant slowch (thats how its said) but havent a clue how to spell it.
*Slowch* is brilliant and a much better spelling than the real one, which according to the dictionary people down south in Oxford is slouch.
I had to look it up. Oddly enough, although, like you probably, I've seen the word quite a bit in car write-ups, my (1976) dictionary doesn't show this meaning; only stooping, and that word could only really apply to a 2cv with very worn kingpins.

Cheers Steve

B
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Richard P
I think you mean slouch! :o)
Well, Richard, that looks like a waste of space next to my highly academic effort!!!!
Did you like the bit where I recommended your car?
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Richard P
oops, I missed the bit where you put in the proper spelling! I would agree that the Vauxhall direct-injection diesels are good. They can be a little noisy at times and some consume oil. However, this engine is very good in the current Astra. An Astra with the 1.7dti, 2.0di or 2.0dti would be a good choice and you should be able to buy a very good car with aircon etc. with your budget. The Astra estate is like a mini tardis and all have competitive servicing costs, good ride quality and handling.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Phil
You might find a SEAT Leon TDI 110SE for 9 grand if you find an early, 2000 one. Tried and tested engine - very desirable car IMO.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
Yep, the SEAT Leon or Ibiza TDi would be my choice

I wouldn't pay for the VW badge, either. Forget the Golf, go for the SEAT.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Neil
The choice should be between:

Skoda Octavia (if you want a boot)
Seat Leon (if you want a hatchback)

Both cars are based on the Golf/A3, and should, second-hand, hold their values reasonably as the car-buying public realise the VAG parentage. Octavia for looks, Leon for sportiness. . .

I'd steer clear of the Ibiza as it's run out and been replaced. The Fabia estate, on the other hand, is a good prospect but smaller than the two cars above.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - limes
I would advise test driving the best diesel you find against its petrol equivalent. I was absolutely convinced that I wanted a diesel untill I test-drove a Peugot 406 hdi against a ford mondeo 1.8 petrol, but the noise-under-strain difference and free-reving petrol engine made me decide that the petrol was worth the extra feul cost. I didn't get either of these cars but it was a huge change to realise that maybe a diesel isn't my ideal car, and even more that extra fuel expense may be worthwhile....ended up with an old mercedes w124 - fast, silky smooth, quiet, and thirsty, but not much depreciation.
Re: Diesel car recommendations - Mahatma Coate
Actually at this price it would be hard to fault a petrol Mondeo. Every Peugeot and Citroen diesel over 3 years old that I see seems to be making a lot of smoke but you tend not to see that from the driver's seat.