Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - Gromit {P}
Hello all,
I'm considering getting a roof rack for my 99 Punto (last of the first generation model), but first need to know what's the maximum weight I could safely carry on it. Does anyone have relevant experience of roof-racks or top boxes on Puntos?

In particular, SWMBO is working in the UK at present and has a ferry booked to bring the Punto home soon. She's also taken a fancy to Ikea's "Billy" bookcases, so that we want to bring four of these with us. However, at 204cm long the boxes won't fit into the Punto as the rear seat swab folds up against the front seat back, limiting the length of the load deck.

The alternatives are to hire a van and do a round trip (adds 50% to the cost), or pay a haulier to bring the bookcases to Ireland (but we still have to get them from Ikea to the haulier's depot), hence the lateral thinking.

Thanks in advance!
- Gromit
Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - local yokel
Try asking on www.fiatforum.com - from memory (I can't find my daughter's handbook) it's 50 Kg.
Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - artful dodger {P}
According to the Lindsay Porter Fiat workshop manual it is 80Kg. This weight limit applies to all Fiat models including the Punto to 1999.

I would check with Ikea the weight of each package as they can be very heavy. I would guess you would exceed the limit with 4 Billy bookcases. You might be able to repack them so the shelves are in the car and therefore keep within the weight limit (do not forget to take some brown packing tape to seal the boxes again). If you are using a roof rack I would suggest you invest in some rachet straps.

The other alternative is to see if there is an Ikea store in Ireland - more lateral thinking.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - Brit_in_Germany
Wait till Winter 07 and then take a trip to Belfast.
Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - Brit_in_Germany
or follow this link:

www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/IkeaNearYou...1
Wait till Winter 07 and then take a trip to Belfast.

I considered that, but SWMBO's not the patient type where home improvements are concerned! There are no Ikeas in Ireland (north or south) yet. Belfast has a site with planning permission granted for a store, Dublin has a site with a planning application and a long list of objections!

Good idea I'd thought of repacking the boxes to keep below the limit and get the smaller bits into the car, but I didn't realise the weight limit would be as low as 50-80kg!

Many thanks, one and all.
- Gromit
Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - Group B
If she is coming back alone, if so would they fit if you folded down the front passenger seat? (otherwise someone gets relegated to sitting in the back seat!). I can get stuff nearly 8 foot long in my car doing this, but mine is bigger than a Punto so you'd have to measure it. Even so you would probably struggle to get to get 4 of them in, you might have to settle for two.

I can confirm the Billy bookcases are heavy, having carried one the full length of Ikea's car park, don't know exactly but possibly 35-40kg each?
There'll be two of us travelling, but we're willing to go in tandem with one sitting behind the driver.

The limitation with the front seat is I can only wind the seat back if the rear seat remains in place. That, in turn, limits the load to no deeper than what will fit between the rear seat back and top of the hatch and no longer than between the rear hatch and the dashboard.

Time to get busy with the measuring tape and see what I can come up with. Failing that, anyone know a reliable haulage firm near Birmingham that offers groupage?
Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - artful dodger {P}
>>anyone know a reliable haulage firm near Birmingham that offers groupage?

Why not ask Ikea in Birmingham, they may have a contact that can do it for the IKea bargain price. Worth asking.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - AlastairW
Just a thought, but IKEA Warrington is nearer the Irish Sea ferry ports.
Fiat Punto - max roof-rack load - Chris M
Why not leave the hatch open and have part sticking out the back? I'd guess around 1.5m will be in the car and 0.5m hanging out. I've done this several times with doors, scaffolding and ladders.