Valuing someone else's reg. number - L'escargot
I want to get a handle on the financial situation of some people who viewed my house yesterday. I spotted that their car had a personalised number plate and I've asked a company via t'internet how much they would offer me for it. Have I done anything illegal? I made sure I didn't actually say I owned the number. Please don't point out it was being sneaky, because I already know that!
--
L\'escargot.
Valuing someone else's reg. number - Armitage Shanks {p}
Good Morning Sneaky Snail! As the military say - Time spent on reconnaisance is never wasted! They know how much you are asking for your house and have viewed it. You have 'viewed' their number plate and now know how much it is worth. Looks like a level playing field to me!
Valuing someone else's reg. number - Mad Maxy
Check out similar reg marks on one of the many websites.
Valuing someone else's reg. number - L'escargot
You
have 'viewed' their number plate and now know how much it
is worth.

Not yet, but I should do within a couple of days. After they've told me their offer, the number will go into their lists as POA ~ pending my decision!
--
L\'escargot.
Valuing someone else's reg. number - local yokel
The margins in the plate business are huge, so the owner of the plate may have paid much more for it than a reg dealer will buy it for.

Of course, a flash car and a flash plate do not by themselves indicate wealth - in today's debt-driven society, it may just indicate an ability to pay the loan, not the (prior) posession of the capital required to buy them.
Valuing someone else's reg. number - No FM2R
Nothing illegal unles there is any intent to defraud.