Is it a bank holiday? - Lud
The relative absence of traffic noise today is a bit sinister.

Glad I don't live in Edgeware Road or Park Lane. I would expect Scrubs Lane to be a bit busy too.
Is it a bank holiday? - boxsterboy
Scrubs Lane was about as usual this morning (for school hols) and fine just now when I popped down to the bank. Don't forget a lot of schools are on half-term this week. The real test of Kens extended CON charge will be next week.
Is it a bank holiday? - Collos25
Its school half term
Is it a bank holiday? - local yokel
Judging by the snot-gobblers on the planes I was travelling on, last week was half-term in the provinces.
Is it a bank holiday? - Round The Bend
It's half term here in the South West this week but half term last week in Norfolk.
Is it a bank holiday? - DP
Tube was quiet this morning, but it was the usual creaking Monday morning stuff on the M3.

J4a to J2 (12.7 miles) took the usual 35 minutes
Is it a bank holiday? - Dulwich Estate
Ken introduced the first CC on the Monday of half term a few years back and he did it again today. It's so that the reduction in traffic on the previous week can be shown to be very large. He'll be crowing about it soon and revealing the most staggering beneficial traffic reduction statistics.

Talk about the ignorant masses being manipulated by those in power...grrrr.
Is it a bank holiday? - v0n
Just like previous CC rollout was done on the back of bus lane system introduction, so they could show buses in the CC zone were moving faster....
Clever little commie that Ken...
--------------------
[Nissan 2.2 dCi are NOT Renault engines. Grrr...]
Half term doesn't make it this quiet. Traffic volume here is well down, about half normal.

There don't seem to be any emergencies either, no fire engines or plodwagens howling past in the normal way. Perhaps they don't need their sirens because there's nothing in the way. On the other hand perhaps everyone has stayed in bed because like me they have left their discount applications rather late, so they haven't got up to any mischief, set their houses on fire while making coffee or any of the other usual weekday stuff...
Is it a bank holiday? - Dulwich Estate
From the This is Local London website.

He didn't take long...

London mayor Ken Livingstone claims it will cut traffic levels in west London by 10 to 15% and reduce congestion in the zone by at least 15%.

Mr Livingstone hailed the first day of his extended scheme a success.

"Today's morning rush hour has seen a successful start to the congestion charge western extension," he said.

"Traffic is flowing freely inside the extended zone, on its boundaries and the through route. The zone was, until now, one of the most congested areas in the UK and first indications are that traffic levels have been reduced as expected by the scheme."

Is it a bank holiday? - rogue-trooper
It may well cut congestion in those parts of West London that are in the CC zone, but I live in Fulham and we wait to see if we can move when traffic is back up and running.

PS Half term - last week I think was private schools, this week the rest
Is it a bank holiday? - Bromptonaut
PS Half term - last week I think was private schools,
this week the rest

Half term pretty much evenly split between last week and this irrespective of state/private split. Last week in Northants, this week in Wrexham and Gloucester (kids not able to meet friends). One poor sap at work had son A off last week and son B this; different London Boroughs.

Day trip to Calais on Saturday, return ferry (P&O 19:15) loaded like it was July .
Yes angelman, some of our old congestion will be shoved into someone else's lap.

Today, Tuesday, was again like a Sunday or bank holiday where I live, allegedly among the country's most congested areas only last week.

I do believe that a lot of the traffic that used to pass my house in a north-south or south-north direction was not local at all. I wonder where it's gone?

I must say that as a private automobile owner and enthusiast, with all the rabid individualism and voluntarism that that implies, I don't mind the effects at all so far. Indeed I am quite immoral enough to change my mind about the whole thing after a bit more thought.

Principle has nothing to do with it. I just like it when there's less traffic.

Only too likely to have some ghastly sting in the tail though.
Is it a bank holiday? - artful dodger {P}
>>Only too likely to have some ghastly sting in the tail though.

Lud have you paid your residents congestion charge bill yet?
I know it is only £200.
Do not forget that you will have to pay the same again next year,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after.........................

When you add up how much this little scheme will cost you over 5 years, then 10 years, then 15 years - all for what? To drive on the roads you have already paid for!

The only benefit you might see is a slight rise in house prices compared to those outside the discretionary zone. Just remember the roads will remain as congested as last week and the cost will probably rise year on year.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

and the year after,
and the year after,
and the year after,

etc, etc...

I hope you're right about how long I'm going to live Roger.

Yes, I've sent them a cheque for my £211 but so late that I haven't got the discount yet. Means if I need to drive between 7 am and 6 pm I have to pay full whack. Haven't needed to so far but am looking forward to clogging up the West End when I'm allowed to.

The reduction in traffic volume in my street has been more than half, probably two thirds. It may just be a local aberration but I must say I quite like it. I'm terrified I may end up supporting the mayor along with NowWheels if it stays like this.

But no, on second thoughts, any trip across town will cure me of any such tendency, speed bumps, bike lanes and 'temporary traffic lights' should make sure of that.
Is it a bank holiday? - mk124
When you add up how much this little scheme will cost
you over 5 years, then 10 years, then 15 years -
all for what? To drive on the roads you have already
paid for!
The only benefit you might see is a slight rise in
house prices compared to those outside the discretionary zone. Just remember
the roads will remain as congested as last week and the
cost will probably rise year on year.
--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is
a fine for doing well.

1st paragraph says you beleive in ring fencing public funds?
2nd paragraph is correct but, exept I see a lot of other benfits like higher public spending and/or lower diffrent taxes, along side less congestion.
3rd paragraph induced a chuckle. You have quite a Norzician streak in you, which I agree with. But how does society cope with other drivers stealing your road space? - The answer is to tax them.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Is it a bank holiday? - artful dodger {P}
>>1st paragraph says you beleive in ring fencing public funds?

I said nothing of the sort, just that after 5 years it will have cost Lud over £1000 of his taxed income in extra costs to have a car in London. Or over £2000 in 10 years, or over £3000 in 15 years. These are costs he will be forced to pay that residents who live outside the metropolis do not have to pay to own a car. Drivers who live outside the congestion zone and who wish to enter the zone will have to pay a higher price if they do so regularly.

>>2nd paragraph is correct but, exept I see a lot of other benfits like higher public spending and/or lower diffrent taxes, along side less congestion.

You must live in cloud cuckoo land. The total cost of implementing and running the congestion charge leaves little left to enter the public coffers for other uses. Or put in other words the congestion charge does not meet the first rule of raising taxes, it must be cost efficient. So lowering of different taxes is highly unlikely, in the same way long term reduction of congestion is also unlikely. Eventually it will be looked upon as part of the cost you must pay to live in London and will make wages rise to compensate for the extra cost. Unfortunately the lower paid are hit far harder by this than the well off. The long term changes are more likely to be more companies relocating outside the congestion zone due to the high cost of doing business in London and therefore reducing congestion.

>>But how does society cope with other drivers stealing your road space? - The answer is to tax them.
There are other simple ways that could be taken to reduce road use but they do not raise any revenue. More flexibility in working hours, increasing the number of cars carrying more than one person, allowing more housing to be built close to where people live, reduce stamp duty to allow people to lessen the cost of moving closer to where they work, etc. Lastly, but not least, the governement and local authorities must be forced to recognise that the car is the most suitable form of transport for most people as it meets their needs for convenience, speed, flexibilty, comfort, and cost compared to other forms of public transport.

--
Roger
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Discount bumf arrived today, so can try aquaplaning in the West End and find some of my favourite snuff.

Yee-hah!
St James's and back, absolute doddle, just like the sixties. There were some deep puddles but unfortunately I couldn't get up enough speed to aquaplane.

I discovered this morning though that traders in the zone don't get a discount unless they live in it. That seems remarkably unfair. What's more, Mrs Patel the newsagent told me, the newspaper wholesaler has been cutting down on her deliveries on the ground that it's in the congestion zone so she won't get as many punters as usual! 'Regular customers get annoyed if you run out of the Financial Times,' she said.

Ordinary fun motorists like us don't know the half of it.