Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - dodo
Need to use a Citroen ZX Diesel (non turbo) for a few weeks while car is being repaired. I bought it through through the small ads in the local rag and is a genuine 2 owner 97 car. the previous owner had the car for six years and as a pensioner he says he never went over 50 mph. I'd like to get it up to 70 mph if possible - any ideas of what I ned to do re service items etc. Thanks
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - Armitage Shanks {p}
I think it needs an Italian tune up! Can you not get it above 50 mph? It needs revving hard thru all the gears and then a run in 4th gear, assuming it has 5, or in third gear if it is a 4 speed box. Plenty of high revs - that should blow the crud out of the system!
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - Lud
Beware! If the car has really been driven no faster than that for some years, revving it hard may break piston rings if you are unlucky.
Was thinking more of fuel filters/air filter etc. Maybe after an oil change I will push it moe akin to the italian tune up method!
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - piston power
yeah why not treat it to the filters air,fuel.oil, but id give it a good run don't be too afraid to open it up in 3rd gear just don't wait till the rev limiter cuts in take it up to 5,000rpm from time to time you probably will see some black smoke/particles emitting the exhaust!! it's a car it is meant to be driven...
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - ssray
Chang3e the oil and filters-make sure you do the diesel one too,put 2 regular bottles of redex or mineral atf in the half full tank then do the italian tune up(give a thrash in the lower gears)you should notice a lot of `smoke` from the exhaust,this will be the diesel dust that is stuck to everything.
Ray
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - mss1tw
Beware! If the car has really been driven no faster than
that for some years, revving it hard may break piston rings
if you are unlucky.

I was going to mention this too...
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - autumnboy
An Italian burn up won't make any difference to a diesel, because they don't get hot engough to burn the carbon build up away and knowing these engines you won't have to worry about breaking rings as there won't be any ridges in the bore to break them.

But you can be assured as I found the engine and transmission to be in good condition.

I would do the filters as already mentioned Oil, Air and Fuel, thats if its needed from the service history. Don't expect alot from this Non-turbo engine in performance, but you sholud see good MPG and have no problems at reaching motorway speeds.
Thanks for this. I am well aware of the expected performance from 71 bhp but this thing goes like it was towing a heavy trailer. On the plus side it seems ultra economical. So I'm off to buy some standard oil, an oil,diesel and fuel filter and some cleaner outer. I hear forte is well respected in this department. Will report results back next week.
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - autumnboy
So I'm off to buy some standard oil, an oil,diesel and
fuel filter and some cleaner outer.

Make sure whatever Oil you get is for diesel's or you could end up with Ring problems in the long term, where they will stick with carbon build-up. Oil's for diesel's are a detergent to clean the pistons free of Carbon.
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - Martin1981
The non-turbo 1.9D ZX is not exactly a speed machine, but reaching 70mph should be an absolute piece of cake. My old 309 1.9D would sustain speeds of 75-80mph quite happily all day. I'd agree with what all the other posts suggest and give it a good service. The previous owner not taking it above 50mph cetainly hasn't done it any favours though and possible chances are that the injectors are all clogged up-something which an injector cleaner and a good thrashing should solve.

Martin
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - PhilW
70 mph no problem. I averaged 80 mph in a 400 mile drive across Northern France in my old BX non-turbo a few years ago in a rush for a ferry with my ill father - and a quick couple of coffee stops included. (Nice uncongested French motorways except for round Reims though!)
--
Phil
Very slow Citroen ZX diesel - Ross_D
Before spending a fortune on oils and filters, have you checked that the accelerator cable is properly adjusted? If the small adjustment clip on them falls out on the pump end, you wont be getting full travel and hence rather laid back performance.
Well oil changed and all filters. Good dose of 'Forte' and yipee will sit at 70-75 all day long. Very comfortable it is too! Thanks everyone.