mayo in the oil filler - Andrew
Hi,

I just had a coolant leak fixed and an oil gasket replaced. The next day I saw some (not a lot) emulsion on the dipstick and can see more in the oil filler tube (on an MGF). Could this be caused by the engine being opened up to replace the gasket, letting moisture in, along with several days of stop/starting the engine with no distance covered? I'm worried about an HGF...

rgds.
Re: mayo in the oil filler - smokie
I know nothing about MGFs but recently had a double flush done by an incompetent garage on my wife's Fiesta for £60. They omitted to tell me that there was already a collection (thick layer) of emulsion under the top of the rocker cover, so next day of course the new oil was mayo again...
Mayo - Chris
Once formed in the oil can anyone advise on how quickly emulsion should clear once the engine is warm (minutes, hours, never?)
Re: Mayo - Adam Going (Tune-Up Ltd)
Chris,

Depends very much on degree of problem and the type of engine. A small amount due to a car having no long runs for a few weeks may clear in 50-60 miles on the motorway, while a serious build-up may never really clear without some positive action. Certainly the cam/rocker cover should be removed and cleaned, also all accessible breather pipes. Two oil changes in quick succession, with good runs between, is sometimes prefferable to using a flushing agent.

Sorry I can't be more positive, but it is such a variable problem.

Regards, Adam
Re: Mayo - David W
Chris,

I wonder if you mean how long does it take to clear on each days run or how long to clear the buildup?

Like Adam I see it as variable but always assume the gunk will need cleaning out manually. Not too keen on trying to dissolve half a pound of gloop back into the oil.

Had another Fiesta in the other day where the oil filler neck was closed to the thickness of a pencil with the stuff.

David
Re: Mayo - Chris
I was asking 'cos the bike I'm buying has a small amount of emulsion in the oil - the sort of amount you'd expect from a few short runs/cold starts.

I will be test riding the bike today and my mate thinks I should ride it until the emulsion clears (just to make sure it does clear). The thing is I'm not convinced even a small amount will clear quickly enough for that to be practical - I always thought it took a good long run but I'm by no means certain.
Re: Mayo - John S
Chris

If you can have a decent run it's probably a reasonable test. Our Corsa used to collect some mayo under the filler cap, but as we recognised it had a number of short runs it had 6 month/3k oil changes. As indicated above a decent run on the motorway would clear it, and then it wouldn't reappear for a good while so I don't believe it was a real problem. If it didn't clear in these circumstances it would indicate a large build-up of water in the oil.

Regards

John
Re: Mayo - j.cronin
You can clean the filter as much as you like but unless you unblock the restrictor it will make no difference.
Re: Mayo - steve paterson
'Mayo' and condensation builds up in the dipstick tube. It sticks to the dipstick, and each time you check the oil - signs of a problem.
Re: Mayo - JB
I know the thread is "old" but here is my two penn'orth! My Sierra suddenly suffered from mayo; spoke to my tame fitter who said "head gasket". I said "ouch" and he agreed to check, and the oil was absolutely clean - so he went looking, and found that the engine breathers (don't ask - my expertise is in electronics) were very badly blocked. Hardly surprising on an engine that had done about 180,000 without any major work but he could not tell me why checking the breathers isn't in the servicing manual!

Now at 208,000 and going well (touch wood)!