Peugoet 406 problems - Insane
Hi there, I just joined the forums and have a spot of bother i need some assistance with.

I have a V reg (very late 1999), its a 2.0L LX Saloon version. I have just had my handbrake cables done, and all of a sudden my clutch/gearbox sounds like a dump valve on a turbo, but with a loud screetching noise too every time i dip the pedal. Along with that, there was smoke coming off the top of the gearbox earlier today after i drove it home. Its paked up now, as I dare not drive it. A freinds cluctch went some time ago and the entire front end of the car ended up in flames.

Anyway, Ive read up on it and some say clutch is blown, some say master/slave cylinders are goosed or whatever. Just wondered if anyone has any ideas before I commit to taking it to the garage to be fixed. Also, if anyone has any ball park figures for these parts, if it is indeed this which is at fault.

Also, just one last thing. There is a lot of give in the clutch pedal now. At first I thought i was catching my foot on the underneath of the dash in the footwell, but it seems that the pedal is sitting higher, and also there is severe vibrations coming through the pedals aswell.

Any help is more than appreciated.

Paul Gray
Peugoet 406 problems - Collos25
Whatever the problem its going to have to be stripped down to find it but I'll wager its the clutch and maybe the flywheel.,
Peugoet 406 problems - RichardW
If there's a squeal when the clutch is pressed then the clutch release bearing is goosed. Box out, new clutch required. Flywheel should be OK, as this only a problem if the clutch is severly worn (doubt this car has a DMF). I'm not sure which box they were using, it's possible it's the same as fitted to the TD which uses the pull clutch - a bit more difficult to change, but nothing major - or this may be the ML5 box that uses a hydraulic pull clutch. Replacment of the hydraulic actuator is dear, but TBH I don't think this is your problem. You're probably looking in the region of £400 to have the clutch changed.

Not clear from your post - did this start whilst the cables were being changed? If so, then I'd be asking the garage exactly what they were doing with your car - trying to beat the makers 0-60 time????
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....