'99 C Class - Limp Home - Simon Collier
I have a '99 220 CDi C-class Esprit Estate, 5 speed manual with 156k. Driving home from Brum to Oxford in the snow today, I had a tedious hour crawling along icy roads before getting to the M40. Perhpas unrelated, I drove through a large puddle, a few inches deep, a couple of miles before getting onto the motorway. Big splash but nothing untoward noticed.

Once on the M40, I had not gone more than a few miles when I noticed a lack of power, especially uphill, where it would not go over 70. Stopping after leaving the M40 I revved the engine and it was limiting itself to 3,000 rpm. I stopped for 20 minutes or so and on returning to the car it was back to normal - it would rev to over 4,000 happily and the acceleration was back - for about 3 miles, after which, power loss and the 3,000 limit returned.

It has plenty of oil and water. Any suggestions as to the cause? Anything I should check in the morning?
'99 C Class - Limp Home - jc2
Sounds like water in one of the many connectors in the electrical system;it may be worthwhile opening the bonnet and making sure all the ones you can see are firmly pushed home!
'99 C Class - Limp Home - Hamsafar
Get the fault codes read, as one or more should be present to trigger this.
'99 C Class - Limp Home - Screwloose
Simon

Did the engine management light come on? If it went into limp-home it should have done. If not; this could be water getting into the MAF [airflow] sensor.

Is the air filter soaked? They can freeze in the airflow and cause this.
'99 C Class - Limp Home - Simon Collier
Hi,

Thanks for the responses, no engine management lights came on - I only became aware something was amiss when it slowed down going uphill on the motorway. Saturday morning I checked the electrical connections I could find and took it for a run and it's been running OK since. It's about to go in for MOT so I'll get them to check the computer. I'll have a look at the air filter too.

Thanks