Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Alf
Losing water intermittently, no apparent leakage, no water in the oil. Checking the water level weekly, over a period of a month sometimes requires no topping up other times may require almost half a litre plus. Confused?- not 'arf!

Can anyone shed any light please on this otherwise lovely little car, before I become a victim of the warped head syndrome? (the cars, not mine).

At the risk of getting a rocket, I've chucked some Radweld in to see if it helped....it didn't.

TVM,
Alf
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - David W
I've known a water pump seal to be the cause of this type of elusive loss on many cars.

David
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Royston Vasey (Are You Local?)
Cylinder Head Gasket?
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Alf
Thanks for you replies, I'm near Dundee. Could it be a cylinder head gasket if I'm not getting water in the oil and the car performs superbly?

Alf
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Royston Vasey (Are You Local?)
Could be head gasket. I had a calibra, superb, at the end drank 8 litres of water (yes EIGHT litres) in a day.

The gasket was knackered, but the performance of the car was otherwise fine.

Two grand to repair, so I traded it in and kept schtum.

Play the car dealers at their own game!!
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - mybrainhurts
I traced a similar problem to a hairline crack in the expansion tank, around the spout where the rubber hose joins.

The crack was not noticeable until I tried to remove the hose & the spout broke off. Clean break, but the underside of the fracture was mucky. It had clearly been cracked for some time.

There were no noticeable marks where the coolant had leaked (no, I don't understand this, either), but top up had sometimes needed 1+ litres.

Replaced the tank.............no more leaks.

Not a Rover, by the way.
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Spud
Have you checked to ensure that the Expansion Chamber Cap (rad cap) is
working correctly. Eg If the pressure is not correct you may be losing coolant
due to it escaping as steam. May be an idea to get the cap pressure tested.
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Dave Lacey aka Dr Dave
How old is your car?

I need to know, then I could help you....
Re: Rover 214SLi Ghostly coolant - Alf
Thanks Dr Dave,

Just got back from working away,

Its a Dec 1995, N reg old shape (Box) 214 SLI, I think its a k series engine its got 70k on the clock.

TVM,

Alf