Fixing a pipe with a weld - Andrew
Hi,

My MGF has been in the garage (an MG Rover dealership) for over two weeks, waiting for new metal coolant pipes to be delivered. Apparently Rover are having probs with their parts dept. and things can take ages to be delivered. The garage are saying they can fix the leaking pipe welds by rebraising the join. Is this a good fix? Will it fail again or, assuming they do it right, will it do the job?

rgds.
Re: Fixing a pipe with a weld - Mark (Brazil)
Is the join one that was originally welded/braised ?

If so, I would guess that it will work well enough, although you should keep an eye on it, and in any case see it as temporary until the parts arrive.

Just make sure that they are using a welder who knows what he is doing, and not a bodge merchant.
Re: Fixing a pipe with a weld - Ian Cook
Andrew

The answer to your question depends on where the pipes are leaking. A brazed flange on the end of a tube can be successfully repaired, and one that was originally welded can be repaired by brazing. It's all down to cleaning, and any decent gas welder should be able to do this.

If it's a tube that's split longitudinally, where it originally had a seam weld, brazing will be a little more difficult but still feasible.

If the pipe were my own then I'm blowed if I'd be held to ranson by the MG parts suppliers, and I'd happily braze it myself. After all, if they mess it up then they have to put it right, don't they?

Ian
Re: Fixing a pipe with a weld - David W
Andrew,

Mark and Ian are right that it should be possible to make a perfect job of brazing this.

But I wonder why the brazed joint failed in the first place....stress and vibration I bet. If that issue isn't resolved the repair will soon fail as well.

David
Re: Fixing a pipe with a weld - Charles
Andrew

The reason MG Rover dealers are having parts supply problems is that they are changing from Unipart handling their supply logistics to Caterpillar. Its now turning out to be flawed changeover.

HTH

Charles