removing black dirt of alloys - jamiev
hi, is there anyhting i can use to remove the black dirt off my alloys? some of the muck comes off but there seems to be some which just won't come off with scrubbing!

anyone help?
thanks
removing black dirt of alloys - PhilW
I've used "wonderwheels" (?) and Autoglym wheel cleaner. Both were pretty effective in removing the black stuff ..
But the key, I think, is to give them, when clean, a few coats of Autoglm extra gloss protector, or equivalent. Black stuff then just sponges or brushes off when cleaning car.
--
Phil
removing black dirt of alloys - PhilW
Also, have a look here for product test

www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/products/66583/allo...l

Wonderwheels seems to come out best.
--
Phil
removing black dirt of alloys - barchettaman
I got some stuff out here with caustic soda in it that absolutely mullered the dirt on the alloys. Highly recommended, if not particularly enviromentally friendly.
It´s called Nigrin OxyEnergie.

tinyurl.com/3cmrlr

is the Autoexpress alloy wheel cleaner test.

tinyurl.com/2n4q7z

lists recommended wheel polishes.
Hope this helps.
removing black dirt of alloys - Pica
For 5 years I have been using Muc-Off the same stuff as I clean my Mountain Bike, it smells the same as the wheel cleaners is much cheaper and does a great job
removing black dirt of alloys - Fullchat
Brick Cleaner! Diluted a bit. Much much cheaper than the purpose packaged stuff and its the same thing - hydrochloric acid.
--
Fullchat
removing black dirt of alloys - henry k
For years I have used Polycell brush cleaner.
No " special stuff " needed.
removing black dirt of alloys - Falkirk Bairn
Wonderwheels @ Costco is about £9.00 for a gallon. About £4.00 for 0.5ltr in Accessory shops

Easiest place for a quick clean are the Foam Car Washes - they seem to have miracle wheel cleaner that moves to a new level of cleanliness above what Wonderwheels does.

Had the car & wheels done yesterday - £6.00 the car & wheels are gleaming.

Then spray the wheels with a coating to make cleaning wheels just a sponge & sioap for a few months.
removing black dirt of alloys - smokie
Think about fitting dust free brake pads once you have got them clean. Green Stuff spring to mind...had 'em on the previous car and .... they are dust free!
removing black dirt of alloys - kievclive
Jamie

The idea of useing the Autoglym products also works for me - the black build up is brake dust that sticks to the wheels because of static, if you then polish them after cleaning thsi will prevent that effect and also make them much easier to clean. Happy motoring
removing black dirt of alloys - madf
On the basis that prevention is better than cure, I carefully wax my alloys with some of the very long lasting wax products.. (not near garage so cannot recall names). Then I just wash the dirt off carefully with a brush or sponge for the next 12 months.

Note waxing BMW cross spoke alloys as fitted to my E30 320I was not fun but it worked.

Wheel cleaners are the spawn of the devil for the environment/long term lacquer life.. imo.. and do my hands no good if I am splashed.. so I do not use them...

Wax is cheaper as well...
madf