Citroen C5 2.0 Petrol Auto Reliabilty - happytorque
I have just purchased a 2007 C5 with the 2.0 litre petrol engine and 4speed automatic (AL4) gearbox.
Has anyone any experience of these engines and if so are they reliable and are there any issues that i should be aware of please?
cheers
Trev
Citroen C5 2.0 Petrol Auto Reliabilty - LeePower
The engine will be fine, PSA have fixed the early faults they had.

The AL4 gearbox on the otherhand is a different kettle of fish, least its under warranty.
What exactly can I expect from my gearbox then? (gulp!....what have i gone and done?!)
Citroen C5 2.0 Petrol Auto Reliabilty - Collos25
Nothing wrong with box as long as you are not a boy racer it will happily do 120k and more.
AL4 box is well known for dodgy hydraulic valves, software bugs & selector gate failure.

The normal fix after its gone wrong & been fixed a couple of times is to sling another box in under warranty.
Im getting some mixed reports on the gearbox actually.
Ive done a few internet searches and it seems i can expect anything from, "its as tough as they come and will last for ever", to "it will without doubt have packed up completely before it sees 30,000 miles!".
I really dont know what to believe. As far as i can tell the AL4 seems to have been around for a good few years, so surely any teething troubles should be sorted by now?
Its under a Citroen 3 year warranty, if its going to go wrong it will do it before the warranty runs out, you maybe lucky & get a good one, theres a 50 / 50 chance on that.
Citroen C5 2.0 Petrol Auto Reliabilty - Aprilia
The AL4 is a PSA-Renault co-production and dates from about '97. You do hear some quite bad things about them. They are complex and are integrated into the vehicle control system via CANbus. Personally I have never been a fan of French autoboxes. PSA used to use the German-made ZF4HP.. series and they were not bad gearboxes, although still not as reliable as a Jatco, Honda or Aisan-Warner.
Cheers chaps,
So i might be lucky....but i could be in for some fun and games. I kept my old 2.0 litre diesel anyway so ive still got that to fall back on i guess. And i got an astounding discount off the list price, so i'll still be smiling even if it does play up a bit.
Cheers
Trev