Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - Poisson d'Avril
Whilst reversing my avensis, turning steering wheel a lot whilst reversing very little (unpleasant driveway parking manoeuvre), the steering wheel (I think) makes a horrible squeaking / groaning sound.

Car is under warranty so it will be fixed when serviced, but anyone else experienced this?

This has got to be the most unreliable car I ever had. Six problems in a year, all different! Anyone beat that?

PA
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - Brian
If it has power steering it is merely the system taking up the strain of a large wheel movement with little forward or reverse motion.
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - Poisson d'Avril
Are you serious (ignore my user name, this is not a joke)?

It seems hard to believe.

Yes it does have power steering.

Surely it isn't supposed to groan like that?
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - steve paterson
Don't know about the Avensis, but cars with a steering box rather than a rack often have external lockstops. This means that on full lock, two bits of usually rusty metal are in contact. Any suspension movement whilst on full lock means that the lockstops grind against each other, causing the noise you describe.
The repair is a dab of grease on the stops.
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - mybrainhurts
Yes it can......listen to an old XJ6.
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - Honest John
The Carina E had a problem of leaks from the rack. The Avensis develops a noisy rack which dealers solve by grease. I think there's another thread about this further down.

HJ
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - peterb
Is it an early Avensis (R or S reg)?

If so, there was a recall on the steering column

My previous car was an Avensis which I had for 4 years. It had several niggles in its first 18 months but settled down after that.
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel - Tim
Our Avensis groans on full lock under parking type manouevres, as did the old Carina we had. I just ignore it. It did also squeak but that was the column cowling (or whatever it is called) rubbing and a bit of carefull poking sorted that out.

I have to say that the Avensis is not the most reliable Toyota I have had, it needed a new power steering rack as it was leaking fluid, and was replaced under warranty. The sun roof won't slide back without the engine running either which is a bit odd, anyone seen that/know how to fix it?

My Japanese made Carina and Picnic had barely any faults of any note in many years/thousands of miles of use. Is this just lower standards at the Derbyshire plant??

Tim
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel FAO peterb - Poisson d'Avril
FAO peterb

Its the new shape GS that comes with satnav as standard, on an X plate (September 2000) , 18000 on the clock.

It groans whilst turning wheel, not when wheel at end of its erm possible turnability (???), the slower the reverse speed, the worse the groan from the steering wheel.

PdA
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel FAO peterb - Brian
Steering systems are not designed to be used when the vehicle is stationary or moving very slowly.
Try sitting in a stationary car without power steering and turning the wheel. Hard, isn't it.
You are trying to rotate a slab of rubber against a surface on which it is designed to give maximum grip and therefore maximum resistance.
That is what you are asking the power steering to do.
No wonder it complains.
Re: Squeaky Avensis Steering Wheel FAO peterb - Poisson d'Avril
Well, I only arsked.