Mondeo reversing lights failure - mikem
Hi gang. I have a 2002 Mondeo hatch - neither of the reversing lights are coming on when required. I've checked both bulbs and they appear to be OK. In any event, I wouldn't expect both to fail simultaneously. I guess the next thing to check is the switch - can anyone tell me where it's located please? Presumably in the gearbox area? Is there any test I can do to establish whether it's definitely the switch that's at fault? All help appreciated. Thanks.
Mondeo reversing lights failure - piston power
id expect it is on the g/box if you bridge the wires and see if they light up?? and make sure there is a feed to the switch,fuses ok?? good luck.
Mondeo reversing lights failure - mfarrow
The switch is mounted on top of the gearbox near the end, just in front of a small housing.

If you've an automatic transmission there's a relay in the fusebox, but that's only if you have?

--------------
Mike Farrow
Thanks guys. bigtee - I hadn't even thought of the fuse. Just been out there and checked - looks OK - put it back in, tried reverse and bingo - the lights worked. Bad news is, they still don't come on consistently. At least I know the bulbs and fuse are OK, so it must be a dodgy switch/connection I guess. Will have a look at a more sensible hour - cheers mfarrow for the info - it's a manual. I'll let you know the outcome, although it might not be until the weekend. Appreciate the replies.
Mike
Mondeo reversing lights failure - Carse
Mike,

It sounds like you have an intermittent connection in your fuse box not the switch. If you removed the fuse and the re-entered it and the lights started to work it must be related to the fuse.

1. The fuse socket has corrosion and needs cleaning or is too wide to receive the fuse blade.
2. The fuse although not blow is faulty and should be replaced. (For the couple of pence it would cost I would change this anyway) you may have a spare in the fuse box lid.
3. The fuse box connector below the unit is loose and by pressing the fuse back in and placing pressure on the fuse box it have made a slightly better connection but not complete. Check all the connectors below the housing and mated fully.

Carse
Many thanks, Carse - I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know.
Regards
Mike
Have tried the fuse and connections route but haven't cured the problem so far - the lights are still only working intermittently.

Next time I pass the local Ford dealer I'll pick up a new switch and see if that does the trick.

Thanks again for the replies - much appreciated.