Advice on what to go for? - R75
The scenario is:-

My Father, due to a medical matter, is having to change from a manual to an automatic. He currently drives an X-Type diesel which he is very, very happy with, budget is about 7-8k. Due to now limited mobility the mileage he will be doing is low, but he does not want to buy a 2nd hand starship!!! so either petrol or diesel will be considered - apart from another X-type (which is what I suspect he will get) what else is there! Mondeo's and Vectra type cars need not apply, no matter how good they are (yes I know the Jag is a glorified mondeo, but he doesn't) He is a badge snob. I would also like some suggestions on cars that have a high seating position, making it easier to get in and out of, but that is not an MPV.

Away you go then, lets have the suggestions.

Ta in advance.
Advice on what to go for? - cheddar
Perhaps a Mondeo or Vectra? .......................

..................... OK, an auto X-Type would be a 2.5 or 3.0 V6 4WD, if he does not want a car of that engine size or complexity then perhaps an S40 / V50. Otherwise a late 2.5 or 3.0 S-Type could be had for reasonable money.
Advice on what to go for? - Round The Bend
B Class Merc or Lexus IS250?
Some good ones so far, hadn't thought of the Lexus or Merc, Volvo is a bit too small, but S-Type might interest him.
Advice on what to go for? - BazzaBear {P}
Trying to think of vehicles which make a particular virtue of being high off the ground. The first onces that came to mind were the Ford S and C-Max, but obviously you've already ruled them out. What about the sudden craze for semi-off roaders there was a couple of years back though? Gave us such things as the Volvo XC90 and the Audi All-Road, and I'm sure there were more besides.
Things of that type any interest?
and I'm
sure there were more besides.
Things of that type any interest?

Those are all a little too high, he has mobility problems with his legs and now has to use crutches, I am sure our Honda shuttle is about as high as he could manage, so more MPV then 4x4, but as he said he does not need too cart us kids around anymore, so ideally would need to look more car like.
Advice on what to go for? - cardriver
For someone doing low mileage why not try a Jazz.
They do an auto and I would think the seating position would be ideal.

Please do not take this the wrong way but they do tend to be driven by older people who like them for both their legendary reliability and a good seating positon - so that may suit your father's condition in terms of access and comfort.
Also has the excellent magic seat arrangement as well.

She's not that old (or so she tells me) but I'm getting one for her indoors next - most practical small car out there.

Just not sure how he would like a Jazz in terms of badge appeal.
Volvo is a bit too small, >>

Feels as spacious inside as an X-Type, 2.4 might interest him.
Advice on what to go for? - Avant
I'd go for an Audi A4 - image at least as good as a Jaguar and there are plenty of autos around whatever his budget (I presume you mean £7-8k plus what he can get for the X-type?).

If that's too low for him to get into comfortably, then he could try a Jazz CVT as suggested or an A- or B-class Mercedes.
Advice on what to go for? - runboy
Toyota Avensis, either 1.8 or 2.0 auto. Go for a top spec and you get most, if not all or more toys than the X-Type.
Toyota Avensis, >>

Nice car, not the same ambience as an X-Type though TOTR Mondeo has more classy interior IMO.
I'd go for an Audi A4 - image at least as
good as a Jaguar and there are plenty of autos around
whatever his budget (I presume you mean £7-8k plus what he
can get for the X-type?).

Worth a nose at I think, they are keeping his car as my mother is going to have it (it is just 3 years old with about 25k on the clock) and getting rid of her 02 reg Rover 75 diesel with 80k on the clock, hence the budget of 7-8k.
Am now looking at a Hyandai Santa Fe, has anyone driven one of these? They look a bit lower then an average 4x4?
Advice on what to go for? - barchettaman
New shape? HJ´s review here:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=206
Advice on what to go for? - Ed V
The standard, non-WRX, Subaru Impreza 5 door, auto.
Advice on what to go for? - Avant
"He is a badge snob."

But if he's flexible enough to consider a Hyundai - good cars, great warranty, but not exactly a prestige badge - is it worth bringing the Ford C-Max back into contention? HJ said he thought it was one of the easiest cars he'd tested to get in and out of - presumably because as it's a semi-MPV you neither climb up nor lower yourself into it.
I have to admit that the fact he is looking at a Hyundai surprised me, might mention the C-Max but will not hold out much hope due the badge!!!!
To update on this thread, He has now conceded that he has to be practical!! Has also been given DLA which means he can get a car on Motability. As a result he has ruled out Subaru as they do not do Motability and back not big enough for his chair, seems to have narrowed the search down to 2 at the moment. The Renault Grand Scenic and the Citroen C4 Picasso Grande.

I think the Citroen is a better looking car and probably more reliable. He would be able to get the wheelchair hoist in both and his electric chair will fit in the back of both. Only struggling point at the moment is neither come with an electric sliding drivers seat which he could really do with. The C4 can have it as an option with the leather pack at £1800, but as it wont be his he will be paying that out of his own pocket and would not see a return.

So 2 questions really.
1. Anyone know of any companies that will fit an electric seat motor?
2. Have any BR's got a C4 or can comment on the reliability? (yes I know it is leased and therefore not a real worry, but don't want it braking down every 5 minutes either)