Seat Altea XL 1.9 TD Stylance or Vectra - cougieuk
Well I was going to get a 1.9 diesel Octavia for my wife. She does 20k miles a year and needs a big boot for her work stuff and needs the economy of diesel. Test drove the Skoda - great car - but the seats dont fit my wife. She's 5'3" and the long base of the seat cuts into her calfs - so no use for long journeys. Its much longer than our megane or astra.

So next guess is the Seat - same engine I think and it looks good value. Not sure of the seat fit yet and nearest dealer is 40 miles away.

Has anyone driven the XL yet ?

Other likely option is a Diesel Vectra Hatchback. Only because her last car was an Astra and she liked that.

Any ideas out there for a girl with short legs ???

I did suggest trading her in for a newer model with longer legs, but I dont think thats going to happen.
Seat Altea XL 1.9 TD Stylance or Vectra - Brian Tryzers
The C-max keeps coming up here and elsewhere as something most people can get comfortable in - seems to fit me OK. Should match the Octavia for luggage space too. I find it hard to see these things from a small person's point of view, though - I'm 6'6".

Seats are such a personal thing, though - a reviewer may praise them but real users find they're a different shape, or like to set them up a certain way. (Volvo and Saab seats are the exception here - everyone seems to like them,) I'd suggest you make a list of possibilities based on overall size and luggage capacity, then try them to see which ones are comfortable. (I'll save you the trouble of trying a Honda FRV - I can't see how anyone could like those seats!)