Clio Oasis 1.2 '96 - fuel problems - kja96
Car broke down, recovery chap said it was the throttle body. Mechanic said thought it was fuel starvation, has blown the fuel line through, and I think changed the fuel pump but still not working. It starts but there's no real revs and it won't idle. Mechanic now saying it's the ECU, but my brother says if it was the ECU it wouldn't spark so at a total loss. anyone had this problem that can offer some advise?
Clio Oasis 1.2 '96 - fuel problems - Screwloose
kja96

Best advice; take it to someone who isn't clueless at what they're doing! Blown the fuel line through??? On a fuel-injected vehicle!!!

What ever type of 1.2 engine this is; whatever fuelling system it's got fitted; [the permutations are nearly endless and rest with the exact engine code] this chap will just cost you money. He clearly hasn't even got access to a scanner to check the most basic level of fault-codes.

Depending on engine; there's hundreds of possible causes of "failure to rev." Timing belt; blocked exhaust; sensor failure; coilpack; all sorts. A code-read is step one.
Clio Oasis 1.2 '96 - fuel problems - kja96
Okay, thanks. The thing is, I've been told that the year my car was made, Renault didn't enable it to be hooked up to be scanned, does that sound right?
Clio Oasis 1.2 '96 - fuel problems - Screwloose
kja96

That's absolute [Oh; dear; I'm not allowed to say that.....]

The diagnostic connector is either under the glovebox, [square block type] or in the centre console just ahead of the gearlever. [J1962 type]

Get it away from this idiot now.

Message for Screwloose - kja96
{Moves to thread already started - DD}

Hi,

I just wanted to say thanks for your feedback the other day. I kicked the other mechanic into touch (if you can do this without having seen hide nor hair of someone for 5 weeks!), and found a chap who does mobile diagnostics. In 2 seconds he told me its the MAP sensor, and I'm arranging to get it fixed.

I don't suppose you know what I'd be looking to pay for this kind of job do you (or anyone else who's reading this not so private message!)? Following recent events I'm not feeling particularly trusting.

Anyway, thanks again,

kja96
Message for Screwloose - Screwloose
kja96

Glad to have been of - at least some - help.

As previously mentioned; there's an array of vastly different 1.2 engines fitted in a Clio. Pricing a MAP sensor replacement is thus rather tricky; but it's not a long job [around 12 minutes book time] and labour charges will vary dramatically depending on where you are. Can't see it being much less than £100 for the whole job - at best guess.
Message for Screwloose - kja96
Cool, I've been told about £60-£70 so that's great.

Thanks v much,
kja96