Saab convertibles, 5 seats? - Paul531
Hi,

I seen a few adverts in a well known web-site / magazine {that carries both both private and 'trader' adverts} for Saab convertibles.

900 and 9-5 2.0 and 2.3

Many say they have three, 3 point fixing rear seat belts.

So, can they seat 5? I have 3 children and may just consider a late 1990s / early 00s version if they can seat my 3 kids, 6, 8 and 10 years.

I've looked on a few web-sites but I cannot find an answer.

A Saad dealer near me is advertising a few Saab convertibles of this vintage.

I may take a peak next week.

Thanks all,

Paul {Forest of Bowland}
Saab convertibles, 5 seats? - SteVee
>>So, can they seat 5? I have 3 children and may just consider a late 1990s / early 00s version if they can seat my 3 kids, 6, 8 and 10 years.<<

I would say no.
If the children are small enough to fit 3 of them in the back, then the new laws will require booster seats - and this makes 3 in the back not practical.

There was a thread on here a while back looking for five seat convertibles - I think only an USA market Toyota fits the bill.
Saab convertibles, 5 seats? - Brian Tryzers
Pretty sure there are only two seats and two seatbelts in the back. The pivots of the roof mechanism impinge on the width of the seat (I think this applies to all four-seat soft-tops) so there simply isn't room for three seats, never mind three boosters.

The Three Boosters problem is tough enough in a big saloon or estate car - my S60 is wide but won't take three. There's scope for another thread here about non-MPVs that can take three across the back.
Saab convertibles, 5 seats? - Mookfish
IIRC There is an exemption that allows for the problem of fitting 3 booster seats, in that one child can sit in the middle seat without a booster if theres no space for one.

However if the front passenger seat is empty the 3rd child should be sat there and use a booster instead of sitting in the back.

This info was linked to from the BR recently, I'll try and find the link.
Saab convertibles, 5 seats? - Mookfish
www.childcarseats.org.uk/law/index.htm

MUST use adult belt if the correct child restraint is not available in three scenarios:

- in a in a licensed taxi or private hire vehicle ;
- for a short distance for reason of unexpected necessity;
- two occupied child restraints prevent fitment of a third.

This is the relavant part (this is for the back seat.)

Saab convertibles, 5 seats? - boxsterboy
>> The Three Boosters problem is tough enough in a big saloon
or estate car - my S60 is wide but won't take
three. There's scope for another thread here about non-MPVs that
can take three across the back.

It's down to the booster seats as much as the car. Volvo do a very slim booster seat for 15kg plus kids. We have (had - I sold it at the weekend) no problem getting 3 of theses seats across the back of our W211 E-class estate.

This Volvo seat doesn't have a name or number but the backrest is detachable for when the kids only need the base, and this also helps on those occassions when full size passengers need to be carried in the back and the seats can easily be dismantled and put in the boot without filling it.

I was amazed at the lack of interior width in the back of (current model) Shogun yesterday. We couldn't fit 3 Maxi-Cosi seats across the back of our friends Shogun where they fit SWMBO's C8 with ease.