Games you play in the car - Westpig
this is meant to be a 'clean' thread as well.

an item on the thread on minicabbing has reminded me of being a bored kid on long journeys and one particular game the old man invented to keep us kids interested

it was a spotting game and you recieved points depending on the quality of 'spot'

the points went like this:

1 point for... a front seat person in a car wearing a hat
1 point for ...a front seat person in a car sat on a beaded seat cover

maximum points were for a 'double beader, double hatter' which i'm fairly sure was never achieved. I think my sister got a 'single hatter, double beader' once.

Anyone else got daft games they used to play.

Some 35 years later i still look for 'hatters' and 'beaders'. Maybe i need to get out more.
Games you play in the car - Pugugly {P}
How many points for a "no seatbelter" ;-)
Games you play in the car - Westpig
3.... and an FPN
Games you play in the car - AlastairW
I've been carting other peoples kids to sports events this weekend, and the fashionable back seat game appears to be "pinch/punch" ie: child a sees a yellow van (say) and pinches child b at the same time shouting "yellow van pinch". At times I was called in as umpire to judge wether a greenish yellow van counted for pinching purposes...
Games you play in the car - cub leader
Alistair this is a very popular game, unfortunately not so good on a minibus trip from coventry to bodmin with 12 or so explorer scouts with:
1 punch for a mini
1 punch for a yellow car
2 punches for a mini convertible
therefore ultimate one is 3 punches yellow mini convertible.

Bruised arms all round!
--
Temporarily not a student, where did the time go???
Games you play in the car - Ian (Cape Town)
As nippers, on long journeys, we used to play pub cricket.
Left side v Right side of car.
Any pub passed could give a number of 'legs' - the swan was two runs, white hart was four etc etc etc etc.
Any human was obviously 2 (except Long John Silver!).
King's Head and Kings Arms didn't count.
However, the "coach and four" was always a good one, as was the Oxford and Cambridge, at Hammersmith - 16 oarsmen and 2 cox for 38! and the Cricketers, with 22 plus 2 umpires for a belting 48!

Games you play in the car - Vin {P}
Mine are strongly affected by the presence of children in the car:

Singing:

"Wheels on the bus", getting more extreme in what parts of the bus do what
"One man went to mow", as many as possible without drawing a breath

Observation:

I-spy; with one of the kids just learning to read, bit of a challenge.
Caravan counting versus Green car counting, etc. Changes through the year as caravans gain the advantage

Memory

I packed a suitcase and put in a.... List increasing in size by one for each person (Variation, alphabetical order - we've made it to V in the past

Relief

How many minutes can we be quiet?

V
Games you play in the car - Ian (Cape Town)
Are we there yet?

Games you play in the car - L'escargot
this is meant to be a 'clean' thread as well.
an item on the thread on minicabbing has reminded me of
being a bored kid on long journeys and one particular game
the old man invented to keep us kids interested
it was a spotting game and you recieved points depending on
the quality of 'spot'

The classic game used to be spotting trucks of well-known haulage contractors ~ Eddie Stobart, Norbert Dentressangle, Prestons of Potto, Denby, etc.
--
L\'escargot.
Games you play in the car - deepwith
Snooker - starting and finishing with a white car.
Alphabet on number plates used to work until traffic increased so much - now is completed in no time, so abandoned.
'When I went to Brixton Market I bought .... apple, banana, and so on.
Cricket (we call 'Legs Game" as described, but your side lost all points if you passed a pub with "Head" , "Arms" lost you your next pub, also had endless arguments about the Cricketers - those counting both teams + umpires versus those who argued only two batsmen on at a time. Fox and Hounds was a good score!
What am I? or Who am I? based on questions which only allowed a yes or no answer. Very easily won against one small son, who was ALWAYS Tazmanian Devil.
I drove from Congleton to New Forest every weekend for six months during '93 with three children so the above were well used, particularly when stuck round the then road works round Birmingham and the Newbury by-pass hold up.
Last summer drving to Cornwall peace reigned with the laptop playing films, using ear pieces.
Games you play in the car - bignick
Pub cricket was our family favourite in hte 60s.
We played in turn though with an "arms" ending your innings caught and putting the next child in to bat.
Used to have lengthy arguments over scores for stag and hounds etc - final decision resting with the umpire (mum).