S-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - mfarrow
Hi

Nissan Micra automatic 1.3

I'm trying to sort out a problem on a Micra. Basically the owner's been having the engine management light come up on the dash for about a year now and has had the fault code read at expense. Memory of owner is a bit vague but something like 'garage said it's a problem with the "sensor" but don't know whether it's back or front, or both'. When I heard back and front I immediately thought lambda sensors but do they have two on this? Also the garage has quoted £150 each sensor, this seems a little steep for lambdas. Unforunately I haven't got the right equipment otherwise I'd read the fault again myself to double check.

Secondly, can the light be reset manually or does it require a code reader? Would leaving the battery off for a few hours sort it?

Thanks for your time.

--------------
Mike Farrow
S-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - jc2
Front and rear Lambda(HEGO)sensors are only needed with EOBD(Euro III & IV).Uptil then just a front.
I assume that this is a Euro II? What else could they mean by front and back sensor if not lambda?

Light started coming on (ironically) after doing 150 mile trips to and from Southport. Any connection? It will clear for a while (2000 miles) after a reset then return.

--------------
Mike Farrow
S-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - Screwloose
Mike

My info suggests that two HEGO sensors were not fitted on the CG13DE until 07/00.

Flash codes can be accessed by linking CHK and IGN in the diag socket in the fusebox for two seconds with the ign on. Bridging those again for two seconds [with the MIL light flashing] erases them.

Dodgy solder joints in the MAF sensor are, very, very, very, common on these.
S-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - GregSwain
Dodgy solder joints in the MAF sensor are, very, very, very,
common on these.

Very interesting - don't suppose the same's true of a 2001 Primera with the QG18DE engine? I have a friend who's paid a fortune for new Lambda sensors (both), and still has the orange light coming on. Engine's been idling very rough recently too - possibly a MAF sensor problem?
The price quoted gives me a thought-there are other sensors ,not lambda as such which are much more expensive.A lambda sensor only tells the ECU if the mixture is rich or weak.This much more expensive sensor tells the ECU by how rich or how weak-I would not expect them to be on a Micra.
jc2

Are you thinking of 6-wire wideband sensors? You're right; these only have a normal HEGO.
Don't know how many wires;the only car I know was fitted with them was the Mitsubishi GDI.
I have a friend who's paid
a fortune for new Lambda sensors (both), and still has the
orange light coming on.

Start with the basics like plugs and leads. I know someone who had a lambda replaced 3 times before they realised a mis-fire was killing them.

--------------
Mike Farrow
S-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - Aprilia
Surely this car has only one lambda sensor (pre-cat)?

I recall that on these cars you can put the ECU into a self-diagnostic mode whereby the MIL lamp flashes in time with the lambda switching signal.
It might be worth having some proper diagnostics done before splashing out on new parts....
I know Aprilia I would do, but the owner has already splashed out £40 on the initial code read and light reset, and I don't want to spend any more.

--------------
Mike Farrow
Greg

Sorry; I missed this post mixed in with the others.

Do you know the code that's coming up on the Primera? [Always be wary of a stretched timing chain on a QG.]

The Primera's MAF is a different type - just a conventional tube in the ducting; not like the Micra's one, built-into the throttle body. They do go too; but so do their inlet manifold gaskets. Squirt a bit of WD40 along the head/manifold join at idle [don't set it alight!] and see if it revs up.

Also check that it's not over-charging.
Looked at car today. It is a CGA3DE engined model (the '1.4') and has two lamda sensors after all.

I found the diagnostic port, thanks, but the pins aren't labelled, it's just a white 16-pin socket. Can these still be flash-read?

Thanks

--------------
Mike Farrow
X-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - mfarrow
Oh and it might be an X-reg sorry :-S
X-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - Screwloose
Oh and it might be an X-reg

Really?

The pins you need are the outer pins in the "long" side of the plug.
Really?

Yes, I double checked myself last night.

Thanks for the pin info. Do you mean pins 1 and 8?

--------------
Mike Farrow
X-plate Micra engine light & 2 lambdas? - Screwloose

If that's the outer ones on the long side; then yes.
Hi Screwloose

Thanks for that, unfortunately it didn't work, nothing flashed.

I guess this one's too new.

--------------
Mike Farrow