Free Air - helicopter
Popped into my local petrol station the other day to check the tyre pressures and found they have a new machine for which they have a minimum charge of 50 p for three minutes.

I refused to pay .

I think most people would be hard pressed to check tyre pressures , including the spare in that time and I bridle at paying up to £ 1 or so for a service that is free at other places. I went to local Tescos where air is free

Am I just a tight b....... or do other people agree.

Free Air - yorkiebar
i understand the feeling

but the air cost money to produce. 50p sounds excessive tho.

it needs a compressor, safety checks, electricity, fittings etc.
Free Air - Sprice
I agree with you, I wont pay, unless its an emergency, and then no more than 20p! We pay enough for other motoring related 'privileges' so I'll be damned if I'll pay for air, especially 50p!
Free Air - Falkirk Bairn
I went to local Tescos where air is free
Am I just a tight b....... or do other people agree.

Every Little Helps..........
Free Air - helicopter
I agree they have to provide and install a compressor but how much does that really cost them?

Three minutes minimum is very tight . It gives you just 36 seconds per tyre so it would mean removing tyre caps and having boot open and spare out and available to check before you put your money in .

In the normal checking procedure you usually have to heave the hose round to the offside of the car and if you have to inflate the tyres I believe it would mean the need for another 50 p.

Also my spare is a spacesaver so it is a differnet pressure to other tyres meaning the machine has to be reset.

Its the thin end of the wedge - they 'll be charging us for breathing air soon.............................
Free Air - Group B
I agree they have to provide and install a compressor but
how much does that really cost them?

Judging by the one at our local garage, it was broken 50% of the time, so it probably cost them a bomb in maintenance!
it would mean removing
tyre caps and having boot open and spare out and available
to check before you put your money in .

Thats what I used to do. But it became such a chore to go to Tesco and have to queue to use the airline, or wait until someone had finished their shopping, that I bought a portable compressor I can use in the comfort of my own drive! I paid about £15 inc. postage for mine on ebay: snipurl.com/18fnb

;o)
Free Air - Stuartli
>>that I bought a portable compressor I can use in the comfort of my own drive! >>

I've had one of these for at least 10 years, but rarely use it as it is just not powerful enough to do the job in reasonable time.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Free Air - Group B
>>that I bought a portable compressor I can use in the
comfort of my own drive >>
I've had one of these for at least 10 years, but
rarely use it as it is just not powerful enough to
do the job in reasonable time.

Ahh, if you see the link, I had heard about useless asthmatic ones so I bought a "truck and SUV" model (good review in Auto Express). It blows like the clappers!
Free Air - BogStandard
I remember when it was 20p. I asked the petrol station attendant why it had gone up. He told me that was the price of inflation.

I'll get me coat.
Free Air - ForumNeedsModerating
My 'local' charges 20p for about 3mins too - it's a bit of a rush, but I find removing all the dust caps beforehand & not replacing them till all the tyres are done allows enough time. The only adavantage, perhaps, of the charge is that it probably means the air pump is regualarly serviced/calibrated by a third party contractor.
Free Air - DP
I do it myself at home with a decent digital tyre pressure monitor and a footpump.

The ultimate tightwad!

Cheers
DP
Free Air - Mookfish
I asked at a local garage why they'd started charging, apparently it was to stop chav kids using it on bikes and generally messing about with the thing.
Free Air - Stuartli
apparently it was to stop chav kids using it on bikes and generally messing about with the thing.>>

I also use my local Tesco's air line (I buy all my petrol there in any case), which is a modern digital type machine. Every so often it is out of action because of youngsters messing around with it; currently been out of use for nearly a fortnight.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Free Air - ffidrac {P}
I don't like paying for air either, I usually carry a compressor in the boot for the tyres but I do check them for 'look' when filling and if they look a 'bit flat' I use the garage air (Tesco & FREE!)
Free Air - mal
>>>>>>My 'local' charges 20p for about 3mins too - it's a bit of a rush, but I find removing all the dust caps beforehand & not replacing them till all the tyres are done allows enough time. The only adavantage, perhaps, of the charge is that it probably means the air pump is regualarly serviced/calibrated by a third party contractor.<<<<<<

I remember reading the results of a survey on the accuracy of service station air and it was found that the majority of them were innaccuate!!.

I have an old fashioned brass footpump (the type that will allways outlast the rubbish that is sold today) and use a pencil type guage to check the pressure. Keeps you fit anyway.

.....................................No I have not had it callibrated :-)..........................
Free Air - milkyjoe
i bought a cigar lighter socket operated air pump for 7.99 from the AA,and i use a pen type pressure guage to check after a free fill up (air)
Free Air - deepwith
Didn't one of the motoring organisations do a survey a few years ago which found that if you paid, the guage tended to be more accurate? Having said that I use Tesco for air.
Free Air - tyro
I usually use my own old footpump, but sometimes use Tesco.

I don't like buying petrol from Tesco - they and their customers are a threat to small local petrol stations - but I have no qualms about using their air. And if their air costs money to produce, I like to think that if I can eat into their massive profits, I'm helping the little guys to survive. :-)
Free Air - helicopter
The threat to local stations in our area is also that the developers want the land to build on.

In the town where I live in West Sussex , population 50,000 we have only two stations left within four miles of me, A Shell garage and Sainsburys .

When I moved there three years ago we had five, two have been taken by developers and now have flats on them and one is the local Citroen dealer who could not make money from competition from the supermarkets so gave up the petrol selling.

As a matter of interest what is the furrthest anyone here lives from the nearest station? How many stations have closed down in your area recently?
Free Air - Sofa Spud
We've had some filing stations close, while new ones have opened (Asda, Sainsbury's). Some closed for development, one is still a car showroom but with no fuel. I am a great fan of out-of-town superstores but I buy my biodiesel from the independent filling station up the road because it's the only place which sells the stuff.
Free Air - jacks
I never bother with service stations (for air !) they are either broken, registering incorrectly, or - if you find one working there is a queue, and of course all the extra queuing for a token or change..........

I do both cars at home every Sunday morning - or before a long motorway journey -with a decent footpump (the type with a dial guage) - only takes a few minutes. Also doing it in your own time, not on a forecourt with others waiting for you to move off, gives me time to inspect the tyres for any damage,nails, cuts etc.

Jacks
Free Air - cardriver
My local garage charges 20p for a small token/coin.
I always pay for petrol and then ask for a token and offer my credit card as payment.
They always just give it me free.

Daft I know but if they want to charge me for air then.........
Free Air - L'escargot
I buy a footpump for about £4 and it lasts yonks. It enables me to check the tyre pressures at my leisure in the comfort of my centrally heated garage rather than in a rush on some chilly rainswept forecourt. It also enables me to check the pressures when the tyres are cold. I've only used a forecourt pump once in the last 40 years and on that occasion I found the automatic pressure setting procedure too complicated for words. I checked the tyres cold the next day and the pressures were all over the place.
--
L\'escargot.
Free Air - milkyjoe
its always a good idea to over inflate the spare cause when you come to use it ,it aint much good if its only got 5 pounds of pressure in it,and you can always let some out if its still over inflated