Diesels and motorbikes engines - mk124
After another thread decended into a debate about diesels V petrols I thought I would ask a logical question. Who likes diesels and motorbikes? Reading PUs postings he is an keen motorcyclist and yet he also likes his diesel BWM.
Motorbike engines are the oposite of diesel engines you find in cars. The are very high reving, without much torque, but I suspect if they developed a light enough diesel engine for a bike it still would not catch on.
Diesel engines in cars have lots of people admiring the amount of torque produced, refering to it as a relaxed ride. It make no diffrence to me if my car is reving at 2,000 or 4,000 at 70 mph, what does matter is how noisy it makes the car. Do the admirers of diesels like them for the motorway refinement, produced by the low reving engine compaired to their petrol equivilants?
If so prehapps compairing diesels and petrols is a waste of time. Diesels may be more refined on the motorway but petrols maybe more refined in towns.
If I am right and compairing diesels and petrols is like compairing apples and oranges, prehapps the diffrence is in their application, much like compairing diesels and motorcycle engines - They are incomparable to an certain extent.
I bet there are lots of motorcycle owners who enjoy hitting 10K plus rev a minute on a motorcycle, but like the low engine speeds the torque of a diesel provides in a car.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
Diesels and motorbikes engines - mss1tw
Me.

I wouldn't describe an Africa Twin as high revving though. ;o)

Makes a bl--dy nice noise when you do though!
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Dulwich Estate
A while back I read somewhere that the US, British & EU armies were interested in the development of a diesel motorbike. Apparently most army transport is diesel powered and taking extra supplies of petrol just for the bikes is a problem. I've no idea what happened to the plans.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - cheddar
Me.

My Kawasaki ZRX 1100 revs to about 10500, high by car standards though not by Yamaha R6 standards, it also produces more torque that you can generally use and certainly more than you really ever need when bike and rider are less than 1/3 tonne all in. Best compared with something like a 5.5 ltr AMG V8 (which is rather torquey) than a TD car engine.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - DP
I like both because at the moment I use car and bike for very different things.

In the car, I am commuting or carrying my 2 yr old daughter around. Therefore, I spend a lot of time at low to medium revs and driving for safety and/or economy. Diesels beat the pants off petrols for this kind of use. If I had a sports car though, I would still want petrol - good as "performance" diesels are nowadays, they are still too heavy and lack the instant accelerator response of a good petrol engine. In a family hack / commuting tool though, it's irrelevant.

I ride the bike for fun, couldn't care less about economy, and have only myself to be responsible for. Hearing a bike scream to 14k gives me goosebumps, and I don't need to feel guilty about it.

Both impressive in their own way.

Cheers
DP
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Martin Devon
- good as "performance" diesels are nowadays, they are still too
heavy and lack the instant accelerator response of a good petrol
engine. In a family hack / commuting tool though, it's irrelevant.
Cheers
DP

Cobblers and more. Drive the Diesel in the peak torque range and learn about your vehicle. I have employees who try to drive a Diesel as if a Petrol and who you couldn't teach if you had forever. Modern Diesels are simply stunning and the torque provides OOMPH and character. Petrol is flat, dead, and toooo juicy.......Learn from experience not ignorance. Revs are waste and noise...Torque is power and that oh so satisfying 'kick' in the back.

Very best regards..........................MD.
I am quite aware of how to drive a diesel thanks, having covered approximately 190,000 miles in three of them in the last few years. Peak torque between 1800 and 2000 RPM, peak power at 4,000 RPM (give or take). Don't stray out of this range, and use the torque. I am not disputing that they can be incredibly impressive.

But I still maitain that for all the recent advances in technology, and for being able to match the power output of equivalent petrol engines, they are still not suited to pure performance cars. First and foremost, all forced induction engines in my view are too much of a compromise to throttle adjustability and response. Inherently, a diesel engine cannot match the immediacy and consistency of response to small changes of throttle input offered by a well set up naturally aspirated petrol engine.

Drive a good hot hatch, such as a Peugeot 306 GTI-6, or a good sports car such as a 911 hard for example (yes I have, before you ask), and a significant proportion of the enjoyment of what are fabulous chassis comes from using the throttle to trim the attitude of the car mid corner. You can do it to an extent with a diesel, but the fact is the engine just does not respond the same way. A good petrol engine comes alive when worked hard, its response sharpens, and it becomes suited to this particular style of driving. A diesel remains lazy (albeit torquey) whatever you do with it.

I like diesels, but I like B-roads if I'm driving for fun, and petrol would still be my choice for a pure fun car. Effortlessness is not a criteria I'm remotely interested in when driving for fun. It's satisfying working an engine hard in these situations. Commuting and carting the family around are a completely different requirement, hence my original point.

Cheers
DP
Diesels and motorbikes engines - L'escargot
Torque is power ...........

Torque is not power. Power is proportional to torque multiplied by rotational speed. Also the torque that matters is the torque at the driving wheels. Since diesels are higher geared than petrols the ratio of torque at the wheels to torque at the engine is smaller with diesels than it is with petrols.
--
L\'escargot.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - oldpostie
Some years ago a diesel bike was described in Motorcycle Sport. I can't remember the details but it was made by a man in Brixworth (near Northampton) and used a small industrial diesel. Probably late 1980s or so.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Screwloose
Dulwich Estate

The contract was keenly fought by several companies - one of which was a hugely respected diesel development outfit that designed an amazing 1200cc 3-cyl turbo, from scratch, for the job. It easily came top in all the contract trials, was reputedly unstoppable through thick mud, gave moped-like 3-digit mpg and still cracked 120. They were elated after their bike's trials success and were sure that the lucrative contract was all theirs....

...it went to a company that just nailed a single-cyl 350cc industrial generator engine into a Kawasaki 600 frame.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - a900ss
Although it has now gone (new baby) I used to have a Ducati 900ss (a900ss!!!) and that was a bike that drove like a diesel. Loads of pull down low - not much reward for going high up in the revs. It was an absolute beauty.

I currently drive a BMW 320d touring and have a S-Max diesel on order.

Diesel cars and bikes aren;t such a strange combo after all.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - mss1tw
Bike revs to an indicated 9000 but there is no point in going over 7000. Show's over by 6500.
Should add that bike revs to 14,000 and peak power on a recent dyno was at 12,932 RPM.

Peak torque at 9135 RPM.

So yes, it's worth thrashing it!

Cheers
DP
Diesels and motorbikes engines - PeterRed
My Yam XJ600 had a manic spread of power between 7000 and 10000 rpm and that was by no means a sports bike. I'd be terrified to try and hold on to a sports bike ridden in anger. Nowadays, I prefer low revving torque. I drive my 1.8 petrol turbo like a diesel and it doesn't seem to be unhappy.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - local yokel
You are not the first - I think this was written up in the Telegraph motoring section some time back:

www.m1030.com/models.htm - US co mfg diesel bikes - esp for the military, but also for civilian use.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - local yokel
Spec for the UK model www.m1030.com/PDF/M1030M1E_AVTUR_Military_UK.pdf

150 mpg @ 55 mph, 0-60 10.4 sec
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Robin Reliant
I gave up motorcycling last summer as I got seriously back into cycling and didn't have time for both, but I also drive a diesel car and have done for years. The car is chosen for economy, the bike was purely for fun and mpg didn't bother me in the least. The thrill of motorcycling doesn't kick in till you are spinning the motor at a rate that would destroy most car engines.
--
Diesels and motorbikes engines - andymc {P}
I have a trike with a diesel engine.
The front part (forks, bars, fuel tank, frame) is from a Harley. The rear chassis and the manual gearbox - with side-mounted lever - are from a 1971 VW Beetle. Hand throttle, left foot clutch, two big wheels on the back mean that I use the rear brakes (right foot) to stop more than the front (right hand). No left hand controls at all. The engine is a 1.5D from a Peugeot 106 which I run on biodiesel. It's attached to the gearbox using a steel mounting plate which I could probably use to attach any engine.
I hope to get the gear ratios in each gear adjusted for taller gearing, as I find first gear to be largely redundant, while at the same time the revs start to rise a bit high once I get much above, ahem, 69 mph. Not sure whether I'll be able to do much about fourth or not. Huge fun even though it's not as fast as a bike, but with a trike how fast you go isn't the main priority. In fact, one of my reasons for getting a trike was because I thought I'd probably kill myself on a bike - I know I'd just go too far once too often on a bike, but I don't have the option of taking corners at high speed now. Plus I'm a bit more visible for the "I didn't see you" brigade!
--
andymc
Vroom, vroom - mmm, doughnuts ...
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Group B
Two diesel bikes here, a bit less utilitarian than the military spec. ones. But £12k for the second one, which sounds a bit steep!

thekneeslider.com/archives/2005/02/25/thunder-star.../

uk.gizmodo.com/2006/11/20/diesel_motorbike_costs_1...l
Diesels and motorbikes engines - craig-pd130
Car is a Passat PD130 6-speed, bike is a 1976 Suzi GT380 2-stroke triple.

Both mine by choice. I get my driving / riding thrills on the bike, and the car is simply a utility, a family barge that has all the A-road and motorway grunt I need while being tax- and fuel-efficient.

I've run and enjoyed a couple of "classic" cars but just don't enjoy cars as much as a bike. And I don't like 4-stroke motorbikes :-D

One of the problems is that motorbike riders are incredibly fickle. Give them what they SAY they want and no-one will buy it -- witness the Jap manufacturer's attempts to sell a big single. All the press and public blithered on for YEARS about how Jap bikes were too complex and what they really should make is like a Gold Star / Venom with reliability. So they did -- Yam SR500 / SRX600, Honda GB500 -- and everyone still went and bought 4-cylinder bikes.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - paulb {P}
Me too. Car is a Mondeo TDCi 130 of unrivalled mile-munching ability, bike is a Suzuki Bandit 600 that makes amusing yowling noises at high revs (red line 12,000 rpm). Both do what they do very well; it's nice to have the choice.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - cheddar
bike is a 1976 Suzi
GT380 2-stroke triple.

Intersting, I remeber them in their prime, my '79 RD250 was faster! The 380/550/750 had a strange 3 into 4 exhaust, much better with 3 into 3 expannies. Also the paint was thin and chrome peeled of Suzuki's of that era, frankly I have been put off Suzukis ever since, mate had an '81 GS550, the engine was fine though the finish was terrible. I agree re two strokes and would love a mint RD500 or TZR250 nearly as much as a mint OW07.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - craig-pd130
Cheddar, true, the 380 wasn't THAT much quicker than a good GT250A / RD250 but unless it was off-tune a standard triple would see it off in a straight line. Going round corners is a different matter :-)

The achilles heel of the bikes (apart from the poor handling and crap brakes, obviously) was the standard exhaust system was very prone to carbon build up, making the bikes constipated.

Not a problem with modern ashless 2-stroke oils and my patent cleaning tool for exhaust internals -- a B&Q "drain snake" in the chuck of an electric drill.

Diesels and motorbikes engines - Clanger
I have a Citroen C8 to drag trailer, family and tools around in. My bike is a Suzuki V-Strom 650 which is teriffic fun solo for me and comfy for Mrs H when we escape our family responsibilities. My take on diesel bikes is that unless you have a pressing logistics problem, like the Army wanting to run all its vehicles on the same fuel, the weight and comparatively slow revving of a diesel engine are factors that are going to sway leisure customers towards a high-revving petrol engine with a thrilling sound track and scary performance. If one needs a bike to commute, the fuel savings are going to be negligible compared to a petrol bike. A Honda C90 is good for 200 mpg I've been told. What to expect from a diesel 150cc bike? Even if you get 300mpg, the increased capital cost and the concern of having something different is likely to put off those who want a 2-wheeled journey appliance. They'll never catch on.
Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Diesels and motorbikes engines - bedfordrl
When i worked on a farm in Pembrokeshire we had a Polaris which was a Derv quad.
It was great fun to drive with loads of grunt but luckily not much top speed as a quads steering is best described as vague at the best of times.
but they gave cauft on - freddy1
see www.f2motorcycles.ltd.uk/usedbikes.html diesel engined royal enfield , built and suplied by a british company,

also see realclassic.co.uk/diesel05112800.html for full discription and roadtest

ps , i own one
but they gave cauft on - Pugugly {P}
Well - Yes my car is a diesel (albeit a very smooth one !) my bike (A BMW1200 boxer twin), has very diesel like properties - a torque curve to die for and diesel like grunt in both senses of the word. It is really the best of both worlds, at its hypothetical cruising speed of over a 100 mph it is genuinely as smooth as any Japanese 4 I've ridden. At slow speeds it delightful little tugs of torque from the twin cylinders and shaft delight and entice you into doing things on a big bike that you shouldn't dare - hell you can steer this thing on the throttle, blip the throttle at the lights and the torque effect of the shaft ( though much ironed out Dr. Beemer) still reminds you that this a beast caged for the time being. I love it, I love it....This is a true engineered whole, everything designed for the experience of being alive (apart from stupid indicator switches). BMW did diesels in the war.
but they gave cauft on - Sofa Spud
Le Mans having been won by a diesel car last year might open the minds of more performance enthusiasts to diesels. I don't know much about motorbikes but I would have thought that diesels might have a place among mid-range bikes where even greater economy might be a plus point. And let's face it, even a slow-revving, vibrating diesel bike is likely to be quieter and smoother sounding then your average customised Harley! LOL
but they gave cauft on - Simon
>>My Kawasaki ZRX 1100 revs to about 10500, high by car standards though not by Yamaha R6 standards

My Yamaha R6 touches the redline at 15,500 rpm and the rev counter dial goes all the way to 18,500 rpm. I have touched the redline a few times but I certainly try not to take it past 15,500 rpm. It screams like a banshee at that point as it is.
but they gave cauft on - Altea Ego
Lets spread this a bit, there are three types of engines diesels, small (Under three litres) capacity overstressed hysterical overs petrol engines and BIG lazy petrol engines.

All are vastly different in feel and character.

A small hysterical high reving engine suits a motorcycle perfectly. The power delivery is more linear than the others, its quick to respond to throttle up or down (and complete throttle shut off) and hence easy for the human ear and hand to balance the delivery of the power to the road.

In a car this hysterical nature is not required, and not relaxed at all. Small, mutlivalved, high reving hysterical petrol engines are like two year old toddler temper tantrums, you want to get out and hit them, and tell them to shut up. You constantly have to scold them, thrash them, changing gear all the time - Nasty -

BIG petrol engines (4 litres, 6 cyliders or more) are gorgeous. Fat lazy great things, relaxed bundles of torque to shoot you to the stars without much effort, flexible, tractible, controlable. Lovely

A diesel engine fits nicely between your hysterical petrol jobbie and your loveable big gaz guzzler, sharing a great deal of its characteristics, but without its prodigeous thirst.

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
but they gave cauft on - Pugugly {P}
I disagree a little bit. The Ford Puma 1.7 is a gem. It is like a motorbike engine beautifully free revving - it suits that car to a tee. You can have a load of front wheel drive fun in it. I actually feel that, dunamically, it is better than any Focus I've driven, far more alive. The BMW 1200 is the complete opposite to your theory, by comparison to four cylinder engines it is a big lazy lump - but it never ever fails to delight. Horses for courses I feel !
but they gave cauft on - DP
Another great example is the mk1 Peugeot 106 1.3 Rallye. No torque to speak of, idles like a bag of spanners, doesn't even wake up until 5,000 RPM and then charges round to 8000 RPM, 5th gear sees over 4000 RPM at 70 mph, and it has virtually no soundproofing.

If you had to drive it any distance every day you'd probably shoot it, but for a blast around the lanes, I still rate this as one of the most enjoyable cars I've ever driven. It begs to be thrashed to within an inch of its life, and when you do, it is not only astonishingly quick point to point, but both chassis and engine reward being taken by the scruff of the neck and given a caning. Keep it on the boil and the throttle response is just a delight, which is a good thing because it can be a lively little so-and-so in the handling department. Part of the satisfaction of driving it is that you have to work at it, but it rewards by the bucketload.

If it had the 110 bhp 1.6 HDi under the bonnet, it would be just as quick, if not quicker, and vastly more economical, but that's not the point in a car like this. You wouldn't get the induction roar, the bark from the exhaust, the throttle response or the reward for driving it hard.

I also completely agree with Pugugly on the Puma - a blinding car.

Surely, the best type of engine depends on any combination of the car, the mood, the road and the preference of the driver. I think there's a place for both torquey and revvy engines, as well as petrol and diesel, but they are so different in character and strengths/weaknesses that saying one is better than the other.

I love revvy, screaming bike engines, but I know other bikers that hate them. Variety is the spice of life.

Cheers
DP
but they gave cauft on - cheddar
Lets spread this a bit, there are three types of engines
diesels, small (Under three litres) capacity overstressed hysterical overs
petrol engines and BIG lazy petrol engines.
All are vastly different in feel and character.

Take the point, though for bikes where you say (under three litres) read under 600cc. I.e. as i said before a large bike engine, say an 1100cc four cyl is to a bike what a 5.5 ltr superchaged V8 is to a car.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Micky
">The are very high reving, without much torque<"

Ah, yes. Torque.

You probably mean:

"Engines fitted to bikes generally have the redline set at a higher rpm than engines fitted to cars. The peak torque at the crankshaft is generally achieved at a higher rpm with engines fitted to bikes than with engines fitted to cars."

Bikes can produce lots of torque at the rear wheel.

I can produce even more torque at the crank axle to the chain wheel of my push bike.
Diesels and motorbikes engines - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Just back from skiing in that motoring area (Triumph) Dolomites which includes (Ford ) Cortina.
Anyway- I love the low revving turbo diesel power of my Passat PD and the relatively low revving power of my BMW R1150R boxer twin. I rarely go beyond 4-5000 rpm in the bike and 3000rpm still enables pretty rapid progress. My brother in law, a big twin fan himself, says I'd be in ecstasy if BMW brought out a diesel bike!
--
I wasna fu but just had plenty.