OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - jeremyb
Thanks for replies to my previous post regarding engine oil additives which are clearly bogu for the most part. But what about engine flush - should i do one when i change my oil? Or flush with cheap thin oil?

Thanks

Jeremy
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - clachnacudden
I tried an engine flush once, sadly it is not for me!!!
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - milkyjoe
you could fill up with diesel instead of engine oil for about 500 miles then drain and refill with good quality engine oil
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - Roger Jones
Just change your oil regularly at the intervals recommended by the car manufacturer or more often. I follow HJ's advice:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/faq.htm?id=13
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - Cliff Pope
you could fill up with diesel instead of engine oil
for about 500 miles then drain and refill with good quality
engine oil

That's madness. I've heard of putting parafin in an old engine and running it for less than a minute in order to free severely gummed up hydraulic tappets, but driving 500 miles with diesel in the sump will wreck it.
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - madf
Fill with diesel? Tripe.

Flush? Why bother ? With modern engines and very close clearances the lack of viscosity can do all sorts of damage.

As for actually driving with diesel? Is this a sick joke?

Absolute complete way to ruin engine and probably have an explosion as the engine heat and crankcase compression ignites the fumes in the sump.

Total stooooopidity...
madf
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - jc2
In the past having bought cars with an unknown background and looking at the dipstick and rest of engine,I've used Wynns Engine cleaner which you add to the engine about 1/2 hour before you do an oil change-certainly makes the dipstick shine!!
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - DP
I've used it before, but with modern synthetic / semi synthetic oils there doesn't seem to be much point. The Mondeo (diesel) was due an oil change when I did the timing belt (120k on the clock and 9k on the (then) current oil), and when I took the rocker cover off to get to the cam tail slot there wasn't a hint of crud or sludge anywhere. Dirty looking oil, yes, but very definitely liquid and the valve springs, baffle plate and tappets shone like new pennies. The Fiesta (petrol) top end still looks brand new with 90k on the clock and 8.5k on the current oil.

Neither of these cars ever does a short journey which probably helps, but modern oils are fabulous at resisting sludge and the build up of crud.

Cheers
DP
about the diesel tripe,i was quoting from the engine bible that gets referred too a lot on this site
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - mfarrow
about the diesel tripe,i was quoting from the engine bible that
gets referred too a lot on this site

Can you please provide a link?

Thanks

--------------
Mike Farrow
heres the link:

www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html

OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - Victorbox
"That's madness. I've heard of putting parafin in an old engine and running it for less than a minute in order to free severely gummed up hydraulic tappets, but driving 500 miles with diesel in the sump will wreck it."

I think he means diesel grade engine oil ... at least I hope he does!
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - jc2
In the past,diesel engine oil,eg. Rimula and Rotella,had high detergent concentrations while gasoline oils had none;now all oils have detergent.
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - Hamsafar
Yes, the bible says "diesel-rated oil."

"Using Diesel oil for flushing

A question came up some time ago about using diesel-rated oils to flush out petrol engines. The idea was that because of the higher detergent levels in diesel engine oil, it might be a good cleaner / flusher for a non-diesel engine. Well most of the diesel oil specification oils can be used in old petrol engines for cleaning, but you want to use a low specification oil to ensure that you do not over clean your engine and lose compression for example. Generally speaking, an SAE 15W/40 diesel engine oil for about 500 miles might do the trick."
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - Micky
">Worth it?<"

No, can cause more trouble than it's worth. If you think there is a problem, change the oil, give the car a good thrashing (I like writing that) and change it again in 1000 miles with the engine at operating temp. I'll now read the rest of the thread ....
OK how about engine flush? Worth it? - Cliff Pope
Vital distinction between "diesel oil" and "diesel rated oil".