Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - jeremyb
Well do they, or is it a con? If they do, which ones are good and which ones aren't? They seem to vary on eBay from £115 for original Fuelsaver, to a few quid for some magnetic piece of mystery that you find on market stalls...

If they do work and reduce emissions, why doesn't Gordon Brown get them on every new car?

Jeremy
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - Robin Reliant
They do fulfil the purpose for which they are intended.

They make loads of money for the makers of them, courtesy of the gullible.
--
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - csgmart
I am sure if they did then all manufacturers would fit them as standard.

Complete waste of money.
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - Stuartli
No.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What\'s for you won\'t pass you by
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - kithmo
Put it this way, even if the magnet did align all the molecules in the fuel to enable them to burn better, then the injectors or carburettor would mix them all up again, doh!.
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - Altea Ego
Jeremyb

>Well do they,

No

>or is it a con?

Yes

>If they do,

they dont

>which ones are good

None

>and which ones aren't?

all of them

>If they do work and reduce emissions, why doesn't Gordon Brown get them on every new car?

cos they dont work

------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - jeremyb
Thanks everyone.... I think that's a 'no' then!
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - craig-pd130
The theory is actually sound -- long-chain molecules WILL align in a strong magnetic field due to hydrogen bond effects.

But as soon as they leave the field (i.e. go into the carb / injection system and then through the inlet tract into the cylinder) they lose their alignment = zero benefit
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - Cliff Pope
Yes.
1) they make lots of money for the manufacurer
2) drivers instinctively ease off the gas after fitting anything new
3) subconscious doctoring of the fuel consumption benefits so as not to have to admit to being gullible.
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - madf
Of course they work.
They fool some of the people all of the time.
Job done.

I cannot believe this is a serious question.. shirley not?:-)

madf
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - jc2
As with all the other devices!!!
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - Peter D
They are fantastic I fiited one in 1995 and have not filled up with fuel since. !! Fantastic !

More seriuosly they do have a placebo effect as you want to see how well you can do so you ease off the throttle and even on the second take you want see how good a consumption you can get. They are however very good on HDI Pugs and Mondeos for collecting the metal fillings coming out of the HP pump.

Regards Peter
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - DeepBlue
Seem to remember an ancient episode of Top Gear evaluating them and concluding that there was a marginal decrease in fuel consumption. Not sure how scientific the experiement was, but I do recall it ended with them saying if you do <10k miles per year don't bother, if you do more then it's worth it.
Do fuel saving magnetic jobbies work? - jc2
Back in the days of the Suez crisis(1957),I was an apprentice and we purchased all the "fuel-saving" devices that flooded onto the market-about 20.One matched the standard figures-all the others made the consumption worse and frequently made the performance worse as well.