Selling your classic car? It's FREE to list your car on Honest John Classics | No thanks

changing mondeo front discs

Hi, some help please .helping my nephew change the front discs N reg LX model but can't get the old ones off! Took off the calipers and the fixed part ( I think there are whats called the sliding type) and expected the discs to be either loose or secured by a grub screw as I've seen in the past. They were neither and won't budge; surely I dont have to undo the hub nut.

Any help welcome

Thanks

Asked on 21 January 2007 by alfaboy

Tags: buying a used car cam belts maintenance and servicing cambelt all-season tyres

1 answer

wayne1980    on 21 January 2007

you may have too i cant remember to be sure. there may be a build up of corrosion on the hub flange and it just needs plenty of wd40 and a good few whacks with a NYLON or RUBBER hammer. good luck

Galaxy    on 21 January 2007

Did the discs on my W-reg Mondeo last summer. I don't think they have changed the design on the later models. There certainly wasn't any sort of grubscrew retaining the disc, and, after removing the wheel and the caliper, the disc just went all floppy and loose without me doing anything to it. Having read all sorts of horror stories in the BR and elsewhere about brake discs that refuse to come off I was dreading doing this job, but I didn't have any real problems in the end.

Unfortunately it sounds like you haven't been quite so lucky.

I believe they tend to stick on the hub flange due to corrosion, and probably the best intitial thing to try is giving the flange a good soaking in WD40 as wayne1980 has suggested. Some say that Plus Gas is better than WD40. This to be followed by some gentle persuasion with a rubber or nylon mallet.

Other methods include applying heat to the hub, and cutting a radial slot into the disc and then using a cold chisel to open the slot, eventually driving it right down to the hub flange. However, both of these methods are potentially hazardous and can also destroy the wheel bearing in the process!

If the disc absolutely refuses to come off then you will, indeed, have to undo the hub nut and remove the disc and hub flange as one. You might be able to separate them on the workbench, or you will need to replace the flange as well. It will probably also need a new wheel bearing.

Robin Reliant    on 21 January 2007

I asked the same question here last week( N reg 1.8TDI), if you scroll back you will find the thread. The advice I got was give it some Plus Gas (I used WD40) and plenty of persuasion with a big hammer.

It worked.
--

Add a comment

Related questions
I am looking to buy an eight-year-old Citroen C4 Picasso from a main dealer. The cam belt hasn't been changed and the dealer says it is not due until 10 years. The car comes with a 12-month warranty, will...
What is the cam belt change interval on a 2016 Volvo S80 2.0 diesel? My local Volvo dealer is advising to replace the cam belt at 90,000 miles, is this correct?
I have a 2015 Fiat 500 Twin Air which has done 33,000 miles. Should I be considering having the cam belt changed?
My Audi A3 1.4 TFSi is now five years old and has covered 50,000 miles. I took it in for its cam belt change today and my local dealer has now advised me that the technical guidance has now changed and...

Compare classic car insurance quotes and buy online. A friendly service offering access to a range of policies and benefits.

Get a quote