Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - cinderlou

I recently took my 04/54 Fiat Panda to a local garage for servicing, after being quoted £280 for an annual service by a local main dealer.
The service was carried out to Fiat specification with genuine Fiat parts for half the price quoted by the dealer.
However, the onboard service computer could not be reset by the local garage, using their computer system as they would usually with onboard computers), and Fiat have been less than helpful.
Has anyone any idea how I can reset the indicator so that I'm not constantly reminded that my service is overdue when I turn on the ignition.,
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - aaflyer
Cinderlou:

To be frank, I'm not surprised that Fiat have been less than co-operative. After all, they don't really owe you any favours since you got the better deal from the garage. When you say 'less than helpful' can we presume that they are asking you to pay for the privilege of them resetting the computer?

I'd except that you got a bargain - is it that much of an issue that the indicator comes on at ignition?

Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - aaflyer
Sorry - should be ' I'd accept that you got a bargain'
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - oilrag
Hi Cinderlou, Sounds to me like you`re making a polite request for information as to whether the indicator can be reset without the Fiat tool.
That sounds eminently reasonable to me and I wish you success in finding the answer.
Regards
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - wayne1980
hi i think you will find it is relatively easy to reset it. i'm surprised your local garage did not do it. i'm not sure about telling you on a forum page but i'm sure some1 would tell you in a direct email. good luck
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - Dynamic Dave
i'm not sure about telling you on a forum page ....

If anyone knows, then by all means pass the information on. There have been many a post here before on how to reset service indicators on all manner of different cars.

DD, BR Moderator.
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - Petel
My interest is more in the Classic Panda ( of which I have three ) but as my sister is about to swap her current Suzuki for a New Panda, I would be interested to learn of a proceedure for resetting the service light. It could be of use if the dealer should become " Bollshi " at a later date.

Rest assured that I have no intention of misusing any such information, the reason I bought her the Suzuki was to stop her bashing my Panda's and so that the dealer would do the work on her car instead of my having to.

So if anyone would be kind enough to enlighten me I would be most grateful.
Thank you, Petel on -- SG-CVT3@uwclub.net
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - AndyT
Have a look at this;

www.fiatforum.com/panda-new/33317-panda-eleganza.h...2

Another post, futher down that thread, suggests it may go away of its own accord after maybe 5-10 days...
Fiat Panda - reset of service indicator - Petel
Hello Cinderlou.
Can you please advise how many days since you had the service done and have you used the car every day?

Thanks to AndyT for the link but this is just the service tick list, mentions resetting the service light but no mention of how it is done. Much appreciated anyway.
Rgds.
Panda Service Light - cinderlou
Hi

The service was carried out at the beginning of December, and warning light still appearing, so I've given up all hope of it resetting itself!
Since then the car has been used more or less every day and the message has appeared each time.

I appreciate that without having a dealer service I forgoe the right to individual attention from the dealer, but at the same time I feel it rather harsh that one cannot have the car serviced elsewhere at any point during its lifetime and be able to reset such indicators. It doesn't exactly look good if I come to sell it either, if the message won't go away!

I believe the local garage tried to reset it using their usual "gadget" (sorry I'm not up on the tech speak) but were unable to do so.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Panda Service Light - Petel
Thanks for the confirmation Cinderlou.

So much for the " Goes away after 5 to 10 days " though I did not go for that one anyway.

So, back to you Backroomers.
Rgds.
Panda Service Light - Screwloose
Cinderlou

To reset the service indicator, later Fiats need a special kind of scantool that can link into the CAN-BUS network connecting the various computers/ECUs on the car. Very few can do it - and they're the ultra-expensive ones.

Ask your dealer how much they would charge to reset the light. There may be warranty implications of not having it reset and the service recorded as having been properly carried out.

Panda Service Light - Altea Ego
My opinion is that the garage who carried out the service have not completed it. If they can not reset the indicator they should not attempt to do (or charge for) the work. Or even pay for it to be reset at the Fiat dealership.
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Panda Service Light - Number_Cruncher
I can see your logic TVM, but I couldn't agree less.

IMO, these service indicator lights are part of a scam to try to encourage people to get their cars serviced by the dealer rather than a real enhancement or "feature"

I would suggest that if the service light on this car can't be extinguished by simple means (see DD's post), then the right way to deal with it will involve the judicious placement of a small piece of black insulting tape, rather than any payment to the dealer.

Number_Cruncher
Panda Service Light - Altea Ego
Sorry NC. I disagree with your stance as well.

Now you and I know I know that the indicator means nothing. You and I would be happy that the service has been carried out and the light is just a minor and unthruthful indication

NOw Jo Public has a car, the "service now"light comes up. he takes it to the garage and have it serviced. The service now light is still on. The job has not been done, its that black and white. If I want to sell the car the next week I have wasted my money further more jo public is entitled to feel that any garage that can not extinguish the service now light is not properly equiped to do the work - I mean if they cant extinguish the service now light what else cant they do what else do they not know about the car? what if there is an undiagnosed fault becuase they dont have the right kit to find them?
------------------------------
TourVanMan TM < Ex RF >
Panda Service Light - yorkiebar
Not often that NC and me agree.

But I do on this occasion.

The service has been done and the proof is with the receipt (also the guarantee). They cant turn out an information light because Fiat (and others) have installed a "feature" that is a dealer only type job, forcing people back to dealers for completion. Totally against the idea of servicing work not being forced to be done by the dealer. Legal issues possibly too?

If the service was deemed to be done by having the light turned off, then it wouldn't need any work to be done at all. Just turn off the light and the service is complete?

The service history is the important info, not the light. If it was me I would investigate removing the light altogether !
Panda Service Light - Number_Cruncher
>>I mean if they cant extinguish the service now light what else cant they do what else do they not know about the car? what if there is an undiagnosed fault becuase they dont have the right kit to find them?

Yes, this is the nasty trap that the manufacturer's have effectively set. Not many independents are well enough stocked with the kit to deal with all of these electronic non-problems on all makes of vehicles, and, as you say, "Joe Public" just doesn't understand. I can't imagine many being happy if independents are forced out of servicing business by these tactics.

I suppose there has been a bit of a myth about "plugging cars in" at the main dealer during a service. Again, Joe Public might be surprised by the reality.

I suppose I have the naive view that perhaps Joe Public should be educated a little more about what is an expensive and potentially dangerous piece of kit! However, the horrid truth is that most of the public hasn't a clue about their cars, and this plays even further into the dealer supporting FUD that gimmicks like service lights help perpetuate.

Number_Cruncher

Panda Service Light - Petel
Hello Cinderlou. Any up-date pleae?
Rgds.