Water based paints. - Petel
Understand that of 1st January, new regs have come into force re insistance on the use of water based paints and the eventual phasing out of other types.

Having been unable to get any sense from people in my home area, I would wish to ask here, -----

Can anyone please advise on the ramifications of this change to the DIY home owner and small spray shops ?
Thank you.
Water based paints. - steveo3002
the small body shop i work at had to change over, 3 employess and say 8-10 cars a week average...so all but the smallest will be afected

i think diy 'ers will still be able to buy cellulose and carry on

btw , its only the base coats that change...primers and clearcoat remain solvent based
Thank you Steve. By " base coat " I take it you are referring to the finished colour of the vehicle?
Thanks.
Water based paints. - steveo3002
base coat is the colour coat...topped with clearcoat

the finsih would consist of primer/undercoat...base coat ..and then clear
Thanks very much Steve, pleasure to find someone who knows what they are talking about.
Best regards.
Water based paints. - mfarrow
The following is based on exert from Practical Classics magazine.

You can still buy cellulose, but:

• Not for automotive use once your factors run out - or after 31st December 2007, whichever comes first

• Only exception is holders of classic car restorer licences and cellulose sundries (primers, thinners etc) will still be available.

• You can still use cellulose, provided:

• You are not a bodyshop using more than one half tonne of paint per year. A £5000 fine will be imposed after 31st January 2007 for anyone using it under these terms.

• The good news is:

• Most DIYers don't use over one half tonne of paint per year, so we can still use it

• You can still buy other cellulose paint not for automotive use and use it on your car, as long as the retailer is unaware of this

• You can still import automotive cellulose from outside the EU

• My local factors still have stock, so grab it while you can!

• --------------
    Mike Farrow
    Thanks Mr Farrow. Much appreciated.