Mondeo 1.8TDi - Drivebelt or alternator? - Robin Reliant
Dumb question;

I had all the belts replaced early last year (Mondeo 1.8TDI). For the last month or so I have been getting a squeal from the alternator belt when pulling away, especially on a cold engine. (I know, I should have seen to it earlier). Just pulled up at home and the battery light has come on and wouldn't go out. On lifting the bonnet the belt is whirring merrily round but the alternator pulley is stationary. There is at least 1/2" slack in the belt, is this enough to stop it turning the alternator or am I looking at the possibility of a seized alternator? The Haynes says 2 - 4mm.

Can't get under the car to see if I can move the alternator by hand this time of night as the undertray blocks access. Any informed guesses as to the cause would be appreciated, as this is a poor time of year for a heavy outlay.
--
Drivebelt or alternator? - Simon
Its difficult to say without looking at the car but does the alternator belt have an automatic tensioner on your Mondeo? If it does then the chances are that the alternator is seized, but if not then maybe the belt has just become too loose and needs tightening up. I do fear though that a new alternator may be required.
Drivebelt or alternator? - DP
The belt tensioner is manual on these engines. Access is through the drivers side wheelarch after removing the wheel and the access cover that screws into the liner.

To adjust, slacken the allen bolt in the centre of the tensioner pulley by half a turn, and then wind the adjuster bolt (faces downwards at an angle below the pulley) to move the adjuster. Retighten centre bolt afterwards.

As Simon says, has to be worth a go before condemning the alternator.

Cheers
DP