vauxhall brakes - freddy1
just read this on another forum

Quote:

For reasons that become obvious below, I would like as many as possible to do the following test and email me the results:

1/ Sit in the driver's seat with the engine running.

2/ Press moderately hard on the brake pedal - and keep the same pressure applied for up to a minute.

3/ There are only two possible results - either:

(a) once the initial free play and compressibility have been taken up in the first second or so, the pedal stays where it is.

(b) once the initial free play and compressibility have been taken up in the first second or so, the pedal moves down slowly but steadily.

If in doubt, try holding a long stick or broom handle or whatever so that the bottom end rests on the brake pedal alongside your foot and the upper end rests against the edge of the steering wheel, making it easy to see any continuing movement rather than rely on "feel".

Either way, please confirm the following

More movement or not, make and model, age, petrol or diesel, ABS or not.

For hydraulic brakes only of course, not rod or cable!

Thanks

I have just collected my 2001 Vauxhall Omega for the 6th time, and the fault symptom remains the same (in kind, worse still in extent). When I do the above test, the pedal creeps downward under constant pressure, reaching the end of travel (now) within 5 seconds or so/

Amazingly, a brand new, unsold Vectra at the dealer's does the same - BUT WORSE! With relatively light pressure, the pedal continues to move down quite rapidly until it hits the end stop with an audible click! Apparently they all do this, and no one else has noticed and they sell them by the hundred!

I refuse to believe that anyone in his right mind would design a brake system to do this - quite apart from the safety and lack of confidence aspects, how can drivers control braking properly if the pedal keeps moving down - and what happens in a high speed stop, when the pedal hits the end of travel - inevitably taking some of the availble foot pressure - before the car stops?

I now intend to get the ABS valve block checked and if necessary replaced.

A friend rang to tell me that Watchdog on BBC this week referred to an unidentified "British" car manufacturer has a major safety problem that they refuse to recognise - I wonder if this is it?

now the guy is not thick , do you think there is a problem?

alan
vauxhall brakes - wazza
Have you had your brake pads replaced recently? Read somewhere that with cars with ABS and vauxhalls you have to be extremely careful when replacing brake pads.

When the old pads are taken out some uninformed mechanics push the piston back into the caliper quickly or without opening the bleed nipple. The fluid is forced back into the master brake reservoir. This sometimes reverses the seals in the master cylinder. When this happens if you keep your foot pressed on the brake pedal it slowly sinks to the floor.

Could be the garage is not aware or want to check this.
vauxhall brakes - Hamsafar
Already in full swing....

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=48...2

{As Ashok has pointed out, it has already been posted in Technical Matters on this forum. To avoid any repetition, this thread is locked - DD}