cam belt - VW Passat Tdi (yr2000) - nkosi bob
My car is on it's second cam belt now, --the car has done 32,000 miles since the last change, should I be looking to change it soon or can I give it a little more milage

cam belt - James_dbrz
what car is it?
cam belt - adverse camber
and how long ago was the belt changed?
were the various tensioners/rollers/water pump/fuel pump/whatever else sits on the timing belt changed at the same time?
cam belt - nkosi bob
............... the tensioner and belt were changed at 90,000mls the car has 122,000 on the clock now---still has the original water pump
cam belt - nkosi bob
Sorry about that---it is 200 VW Passat Tdi 115bhp PD {Added to subject header - DD}
cam belt - BobG
I had a cam belt snap on a Clio with 165000 on the clock. The belt had only done 24000 but I had only replaced the tensioner with the belt. The water pump which had done 70000 broke leaving me with metal all over the place! The engine was beyond economic repair so I sold the car for spares. Now if I had only changed the water pump as well as the belt . . .
cam belt - oldtoffee
I had the same car, same year. VW confirmed that the belt fitted from new should be replaced at 40,000 miles which I did plus tensioners and water pump. Approaching 80K, I booked the car in for its service and second belt change and was called back a day later by the main dealer saying that they checked their records and the belt they changed at 40K was now definitely good for 60,000 miles and that all new PD's needed 60K changes not 40K. Good of them, I was prepared for another big bill. 2000 was the first year of the PDs and 115 bhp was the first unit. I've owned 2 x PDs and my company another two and all are now 60K belt changes confirmed by Skoda (Fabia 130), VW (Passat 105) and Ford (Galaxy 115).
cam belt - craig-pd130
Same here, two different VAG main dealers say 60K for the PD diesels.

Out of interest, how much was the belt / tensioner / water pump?
cam belt - quizman
I'm confused, please can someone tell me when I should change the cam belt on my 2001 Passat TDI130. Is it 40,000 miles or 60,000 miles?
cam belt - mark
Asked this very question yesterday when I took my 2001 PD TDI in for its 100k service at Midland VW.

As the first belt was changed at 57k the guy there said every 60k or 4 years. At the 110/120k interval he suggested would be fine as long as it gets a new tensioner, pulley and waterpump as well.

It was the first time I have used these guys they are based at Cannock and was very impressed with them, they certainly seem to know their stuff. He was able to answer all my questions and make recommendations about what specifically to look out for as I put the mileage on.

I got a full service with all filters including a pollen filter for £130 all in and new front discs and pads for another £130 all in.

Car runs like a dream after servicing and you can tell something has been done. At last I feel I have found someone who does know how to look after TDI VWs.

As always

Mark
cam belt - jc2
I've always changed before the recommended milage on interference engines-seems to make sense to save yourself a fortune;I've let my old 2.0 OHC go out to breaking point because it was safe.
cam belt - L.Cleaver1
Agree with Mark here on these guys - I've had top quality service from them over the past couple of years....really knowledgeable, keen prices and pretty much able to do it all on a Saturday morning!

If only main agents could do so well.....
cam belt - craig-pd130
The official interval for the PDs is 60K or 4 years, whichever comes first.
cam belt - Roly93
Same here, two different VAG main dealers say 60K for the
PD diesels.

Audi dealers recommend 4yr or 60,000 miles for cars with this engine.