Fabia or Polo? - oldgit
Buying from new. Which would you buy? a Skoda Fabia 1.4 Ambiente 5dr hatchback or 'equivalent' VW Polo 1.4S or SE 5 dr Hatchback.?
The Polo's engine, for the same capacity, seems to have less horses (PS). Otherwise I wonder which is truly the better buy, in terms of quality and reliability?
Fabia or Polo? - LeePower
Theres ment to be an all new Fabia out very soon, Maybe hold on & get a good deal on a run out model.
Fabia or Polo? - alan kearn
The Fabia always appear to get the better reliability reports than the Polo, maybe someone can explain this because most of the parts for both vehicles come out of the same bin. Surely all parts, no matter where they are manufactured are made to the same specificaton.
Fabia or Polo? - colinh
A recent survey:

Fabia - 9th out of 159
Polo - 112th out of 159
Fabia or Polo? - alan kearn
Yes such a vast difference considering that probably its only the body parts that are different
Fabia or Polo? - arnold2
True the parts are the same, but remember the Fabia is Czech built, the Polo in the same factory as the small Seat - in Spain. Perhaps that's why ....

In either event I'd either wait for the new one, or get a used 1.4 16v 100bhp - great fun car, lots cheaper than the TDi versions ....
Fabia or Polo? - Avant
I think the standard of the dealers is part of the discrepancy in reliability ratings. If a Skoda does go wrong the dealer is more likely to put it right first time than a VW dealer; and the customer is more likely to be able to speak to someone who knows something about what has been done.

VW seems to have no control over the quality of service provided by its dealers - so stupid when the ultimate result is lost sales.
Fabia or Polo? - Brian Tryzers
I think the standard of the dealers is part of the
discrepancy in reliability ratings. If a Skoda does go wrong
the dealer is more likely to put it right first time...

Hmmm - not if our experience in Warwickshire is anything to go by. We've found a good Skoda shop in Coventry but not before we endured a lot of frustration with one named after a borough of New York!
Fabia or Polo? - Collos25
Had a look at the new fabia in Germany over Christmas very nice has look of Suzuki about it but then again there is a new Polo due so I suppose its swings and roundabouts.
The new Fabia
www.autobild.de/aktuell/meldungen/artikel.php?arti...9
Fabia or Polo? - Bill Payer
Looks like a Fiat something or other (I tried to look at the Fiat website to check the model, but it's down :haha:).
Fabia or Polo? - mk124
I don't know anything about the standards of customer care in Skoda and VW garages, but could the diffrence in satisfaction be something to do with image. I have heard that Skodas are cheaper than the equivilant VW and was surprised by the O.P's question. Wouldn't the equivilant 1.4 Fabia be cheaper than the equivilant 1.4 Polo?
The reason both cars continue to sell is sometimes put down to badge snobbery. VWs are seen as having germanic build quality and thus can comand a premuim over Skodas, even when they are really the same cars. This image of germanic build quality may explain the satisfaction ratings. If you buy something since you value reliablity above all else, many people would go for the VW brand. These same people however will more than likely feel more disapointed when something goes with their VW, than if they had bought a Skoda. People expect VW to be more reliable than Skoda, making any faults with a VW car more disappointing.

-----------------------------------------------

Torque means nothing without RPM
The best Polo to have .
www.autobild.de/aktuell/meldungen/artikel.php?arti...0
Fabia or Polo? - oldgit
I'm sure that when I did a price comparison on Whatcar's website I found the Polo to be only marginally dearer. Having said that, I compared the 1.4 Skoda Fabia Ambiente 5dr hatch with a 1.4 Polo 'S' model, the latter only developing 75PS compared with the Fabia's 100 PS.
However I'll go back and do the comparisn again.

Where I live in Bromley, S. London it is very obvious in the differences between the Skoda and VW main dealers, the former looking little more than your typical local garage with fairly limited showroom space whereas the VW dealership is your typical metal and glass palace with lots of desks and people in corporate uniform walking around.

It does not take much to work out which has the greater overheads and might, possibly, give a more personal service. However, looks could be deceiving?
Fabia or Polo? - oldgit
A further more detailed comparison has also revealed that the Fabia Ambiente has a far better specification/standard equipment than the comparative Polo and so although at first the Polo was only about £500 dearer quite a few extras have to be added to match the Ambiente standards.
If it's value that you're after then have a look at Seat Ibiza.

We compared that to the previous Polo (just over 2 yrs ago) and the Polo spec then was ridiculous - even the £10K+ SE didn't have remote locking. And a CD player was a big price extra. Hopefully all that's been addressed now.

I'm not a fan of the 3 cyl 1.2 engine in our Ibiza, but I did 60 miles on twisty A roads in 1.4 Sport (Sport only means different wheels & seats) and I was very impressed. And it did 50MPG (our 1.2 struggles to do 40).

Is is true (as arnold2 suggests further up) that Polo & Ibiza are both made in the Seat factory in Spain?
Yes
Yes

I think 'yes' is too simple an answer - VAG cars are intermixed all over the place. Some Ibiza's and Polo's (and Golf's) were made in the Skoda factory in Bratislava, but it probably all changes on a fairly regular basis.