E46 BMW sump problem - Sigma
A colleague's wife has a 2001BMW E46 323i Saloon. He took the car in for a routine service at the local BMW main dealers last september. He is reasonably mechanically aware but tends to leave things to the dealers. About a month ago he began to notice a small amount of oil appearing upon his driveway, upon inspection he noticed that the engine sump nut was the cause. He took the car to the dealers presuming that they would tighten the nut or fit a new sealing washer. It turned out that that the sump thread had been damaged and that a new sump would be required £500 (parts and labour) not including a 10% discount.

The car has only ever been within the main dealer network and to my mind it seems that they have overtightend or cross-threaded the bolt. When he asked the dealers how this could have happened, they said it could not have been them as "a very experienced technician changed the oil".

Does he have any recourse to get them to fix it? I guess legally they could say that anyone could have over tightend the bolt after the service took place.

Does anyone know where he can get a sump from (cheaper than the dealers quote of £250ish?). I have checked both Eurocarparts and GSF neither of whom do this particular sump.

How hard is it to change the sump? I am unfamiliar with is car, does it require the removal of a cross member or for the exhaust to be dropped? I've got some axle stands, but is access ok without a pit or hoist?

Regards

Sigma

E46 BMW sump problem - Number_Cruncher
If the sump were mine, I would be fitting a helicoil thread repair.

Number_Cruncher
E46 BMW sump problem - Aprilia
If the sump were mine, I would be fitting a helicoil
thread repair.
Number_Cruncher

Agreed - in-situ helicoil.

The 'very experienced technician' (i.e. young lad on min wage) is probably responsible but its impossible to prove.
E46 BMW sump problem - steve
I would get the description of the fault and estimate to repair in writing from the BMW dealer. I would then write them a letter explaining that they must be responsible for the damage and give them the opportunity to fix it at their cost. If they refuse just issue a summons for the £500 in the small claims court. After they have the summons they will fix the car for free.
E46 BMW sump problem - chukter
>>>>>I would get the description of the fault and estimate to repair in writing from the BMW dealer. I would then write them a letter explaining that they must be responsible for the damage and give them the opportunity to fix it at their cost. If they refuse just issue a summons for the £500 in the small claims court. After they have the summons they will fix the car for free.>>>>>

Steve - How right you are - If this car has a genuine Main Dealer service history, how dare they try and get you to pay for their useless spanner monkeys. I am sure if they are threatened with court action, they will fix this F.O.C. as they so rightly should.!!!!!
E46 BMW sump problem - Saltrampen
Many of us have changed oil and know the importance of cleaning the sump thread so that it free of any debris and tightening the sump bolt to the correct Torque.
The Dealer must be able to explain why the sump thread was damaged. They might try to say the owner saw a small leak or residual oil left after the change, then overtightened the bolt. But I assume a small claims court will want some proof.

For reference a few years ago, a work colleague had his engine written off a few days after servicing, the car lost all the oil due to the sump plug falling out and seized up. The dealer (Mazda) fitted a new engine (although the car was under warranty) free of charge.
S.