Front fog lights and MoT test - LHM
Hi all,

Could someone please tell me whether the condition of the front foglights is a testable item? I vaguely remember one place (4-ish years ago) failing my car due to a cracked glass, whereas the place I've used for the last two (a different car) have not said anything about both lights being broken! This garage has since closed, otherwise I'd have taken the car there.....

Over the years, I must have had ten or more front foglights broken - no doubt due to their low-down positioning) - so I've been inclined to not bother any more. I never thought they were much use anyway!
Front fog lights and MoT test - local yokel
My 405 passed with front fogs fitted but not working.

www.ukmot.com/1-1.asp suggests that they are optional and not tested/inspected.
Front fog lights and MoT test - Clanger
Not according to www.motester.co.uk/

Cracked glass is different, could injure someone, so a fail on that point.

Hawkeye
-----------------------------
Stranger in a strange land
Front fog lights and MoT test - local yokel
The solution might be to remove any cracked items, and the bulb, for the duration of the test.
Front fog lights and MoT test - LHM
My idea exactly, LY!!

I know I should really get them fixed, but on two occassions I've replaced these lamps only for them to be broken literally within a couple of weeks :-(
Front fog lights and MoT test - Screwloose
LHM

Front foglights aren't testable for function; but do come under the "no sharp edges" rules. Simply cover any cracked glass with gaffer tape and take it off afterwards.
Front fog lights and MoT test - henry k
Simply cover any cracked glass with gaffer tape and take it off afterwards.

>>
Not sure about take it off afterwards.
Why not use wide glazing repair tape (that is available from the likes of Wickes) and leave it looking reasonable.

My old FIAT Uno had the bottom two inches of the door skin completely missing. The MoT lads said just cover it with Gaffer tape so there are no nasty edges and thus it passed the test.
Front fog lights and MoT test - defender
stick a bit of clear plastic over the gap held on with silicone
Front fog lights and MoT test - jc2
I repaired my Fiat doors with "flashing" tape;thin aluminium with sticky backing normally used by builders.