306 lights - tommydog
Strange problem, when i turn on the ignition on my S reg 306 D Turbo, the sidelights come on. If i then turn the lights on they go a little bit brighter. Checked the lightswitch stalk by disconnecting it, still the same. Any ideas please??

Tom.
306 lights - LeePower
So your saying the sidelights come on by themselves with the igntion?

Check both the rear light clusters connection plugs, normally the earth connection is dodgy or someone has fitted a new bulb & put the wrong one in.
306 lights - tommydog
Checked and disconnected both rear light units, still the same, checked the fronts too with no difference. Any idea if theres a dim-dip unit on this, i thought they only fitted them up to '97?
306 lights - LeePower
306 did have dim - dip fitted, no idea if Peugeot ever removed the system later on in the 306s lifespan.

You got the owners manual to hand?
306 lights - tommydog
Got the Haynes comic, only mentions dim-dip up to '97. No mention in the owners handbook though.
306 lights - LeePower
It should tell you in the owners manual what lights come on at what switch position?

306 lights - tommydog
Ha, it does, there should be no lights on at all unless you switch them on manually by the switch.

Some extra things ive realised since trying to fix this, when you lock it remotely the indicators dont flash, theres no dashboard light for sidelights illuminating when you either turn on the ignition or switch the switch, the handbook shows one.
Going to check the aftermarker stereo next in case its been wired wrong.
306 lights - tommydog
The latest update. Checked the aftermarket radio, thats all fine, managed to get the lights to go off by pulling the green relay next to the fuse box, but now no electric windows or sunroof unless i turn the sidelights on manually!!

So, the sidelights come on with the ignition like a Volvo but this is a 306 Peugot, no indicators flash when i lock it, all earths checked, all light units disconnected to check, radio disconnected, light switch disconnected but all make no difference, now im stuck!!

I was an AA man for 16 years in Coventry and ive worked on thousands of these and never seen this problem before, any more ideas please??

Mick
306 lights - LeePower
Next step, Unplug the alarm control box & see if that cures the fault, alarm control unit has inputs to both hazards & headlights.

The box is located in a different place between 3 & 5 door cars but both are hidden towards the rear of the car.

Make sure you shut the alarm system down correctly ( look in owners handbook ) before disconnection because its a battery back up / anti tamper system!!!
306 lights - tommydog
Lee, thanks mate, but no alarm on this one, not factory fitted anyway. It has an aftermarket one that ive already disconnected.

Its driving me mad now to be honest, i think it may be auto-electrician time soon.

306 lights - Saltrampen
Few possibilities:
Is this a UK spec car?
Has it just started doing this?

If yes and yes, case of getting wiring diagram and working back
through the circuitry with a multimeter. Done it on a 405 and found lighting fault due to
a break in the wire cutting the feed to the relay. However, if one wire is broken, whole loom is normally quoted as a replacement.

Lot easier to get an autoelectrician to do this.

Otherwise may have to replace some of the relays or resolder ignition wiring if not UK spec.

S.
306 lights - CarelessOne
Few possibilities: Is this a UK spec car? Has it just started doing this? If yes and yes, case of getting wiring diagram and working back through the circuitry with a multimeter. Done it on a 405 and found lighting fault due to a break in the wire cutting the feed to the relay. However, if one wire is broken, whole loom is normally quoted as a replacement. Lot easier to get an autoelectrician to do this. Otherwise may have to replace some of the relays or resolder ignition wiring if not UK spec. S.

I have had the EXACT. same problem problem on my R reg 306 turrbo diesel with electric windows and sunroof. Found out this morning that the passenger side electric window switch was back feeding to the side lights. I fitted an incorrect or faultysecond hand switch a couple of weeks ago and that is when the fault occurred.