Car audio shops in HK? - Aprilia
A bit of a long-shot this......I'm off on another visit to China in a couple of months and will be spending a few days in Hong Kong. I'd like to buy one or two of those fancy 'double DIN' DVD/CD/radio units with the motorised screen. Anyone know of a good in-car audio shop in HK (Central, Kowloon, Mong Kok areas)? I don't want to get ripped off by being sold faulty kit etc.
Car audio shops in HK? - Bagpuss
I've seen this stuff being sold at the shops at the airport. Probably not the cheapest but more likely to be the real deal and not faked. My brother in law bought a Canon digital camera from a store in Kowloon. When he tried to register it online it turned out to be a fake.
Car audio shops in HK? - SjB {P}
(For Sony at least) another potential advantage of buying at the airport that I discovered by accident when recently working in Bangkok is the worth of the guarantee; the Sony HDD camcorder I purchased at the airport came with a "limited" worldwide guarantee. Limited in ths case simply means which countries it is honoured in, and UK is one of them. The actual terms of the guarantee applicable to the UK are identical to those of a Sony UK supplied item purchased in the UK.

Had I purchased the camcorder in a Bangkok shop, it would have had a "Thailand only" guarantee.
Not terribly useful to me.

Buying at the airport I still saved 22% on the cheapest UK internet price (that was actually worth nowt as nobody had any in stock!) and of course if it goes wrong (and it is a complex bit of "new to market" kit), I have my guarantee.

Good luck, and enjoy HK; have been to many places in Asia but this is one destination somehow still on the list to be visited.
Thanks for your replies.
Last time I was in HK (v. brief stopover) I had a look in the airport, but prices didn't look that keen to me. I will check again this time though. I was hoping to find a big car audio store with a good range - I've looked on the web but not found anything (or stuff in Chinese).
Car audio shops in HK? - expat
Ask at the Tourist Bureau at the airport or ask at your hotel. Alternatively why not go to the HK Tourist Board site
www.discoverhongkong.com/uk/index.jsp . It has a shopping search section. The problem is that Hong Kong is not a car users city. Most people use public transport so there won't be the big number of shops catering for car owners that you get elsewhere. You might be better looking in Japan. I hear they have a top notch electronics district in Tokyo.

The
problem is that Hong Kong is not a car users city.
Most people use public transport so there won't be the
big number of shops catering for car owners that you get
elsewhere.

Yes, good point.

You might be better looking in Japan. I
hear they have a top notch electronics district in Tokyo.

That's what they tell you. I visited this part of Toyko last year (Akihabara 'Electric Town') but it was rather a disappointment. A lot of stuff was not much cheaper than in the UK, at that's with a good exchange rate (210Y - £1). I did look hard for some good car audio, but came away empty handed. The only bargains were the Sony HD camcorders (about 30% less than UK). HK seems a fair bit cheaper than Tokyo.
Car audio shops in HK? - dieselicious
i don't know if HK is the same, but Japanese FM radio frequencies are lower than ours [something lie 78 - 89 fm]. if that's the case you'll need a dongle 'twixt headunit and aerial to pick up any radio in the UK. Also the readout on the display won't change to the UK range, so it'll display the incorrect fm frequency when tuned in [e.g display reads 87FM - actually tuned to 99.6FM.

Just a thought.......
i don't know if HK is the same, but Japanese FM

HK is same as us I believe.
Car audio shops in HK? - No FM2R

www.batgung.com/buyingelectronics
That's really good FM2R, many thanks.
Car audio shops in HK? - Garethj
I always found HK airport prices very expensive!

Hotel concierge would be the first place to start, unless you have a host when you're there? When I'm in Taiwan the people in the factory are always very happy to help with whatever I'm looking for
Car audio shops in HK? - No FM2R
You're welcome. Have fun.
Car audio shops in HK? - boris
I've bought several in Mong Kok and they are significantly cheaper than the UK. Some of the shops already have them priced up so you'll know where to start your haggling. Expect them to demo the stereo for you so you know it's working and know your prices before you shop! FM radio is no problem as HK was once British but don't expect to see any DAB.

Hong Kong is so small that car ownership is an expensive business. Consequently most cars are cosmetically heavily modified and after market audio is a must. Even 7 ton flat bed trucks wore body kits last I visited!

The shops in HK are generally grouped together by what they sell. A concierge or english speaking cab driver should be able to help.