Passat Water Ingress - lennymfo
Hi

New to this forum. I have a Passat 99 TDi and I have evidence water leakage in the passenger rear footwell. I am aware of the possibilities. I am going to try the silicon on around the pollen filter first. My question is, what kind of silicone sealant do I use?

Thanks

Lenny
Passat Water Ingress - Halmer
worth a read although it seems to suggest that sludge build up is the issue not the lack of a watertight pollen filter.

www.weirdlittlebiscuit.com/passat/leak/
Passat Water Ingress - Hamsafar
For me, the drains were clear, it was the seal around the pollen filter's base, it's a crépe design!
I used polyurethane sealant, but it was £12 a tube. Silicone tends ro attract black or pink mould or fungus when constantly damp, but you could probably get one for sanitary fittings, it comes in low modulus or high modulus, depending on how flexible you want it, I'd just get the cheapest with an anti mould additive.
I still suffer from the paper element getting damp in heavy rain, due to the bad design of the plastic windscreen base panel.
Thanks. I will try the weird biscuit link of course and the sealant like you suggest. I was wondering as this appears to be such common reoccurence I would have thought a way would have been devised to aleviate such an obvious design flaw. Such as a bit of rubber attached to the rear of the bonnet to deflect water ingress through that route. Surely with such flaw VW must have some kind of responsibilty that I am sure has cost consumers millions to rectify!!

Lenny
Passat Water Ingress - PeterRed
I bought a new filter housing & seal from the dealer for about £15. Fitted it a couple of years ago and it's been OK since.
Thanks. New filter housing and seal from the dealer - was it easy to fit?
Passat Water Ingress - PeterRed
A bit fiddly but nothing complicated. You'll need some small sockets and a bit of patience. Make sure that the bulkhead paintwork is nice and clean before you attach the new one and don't overtighten the nuts. It's also a good time to replace the pollen filter.
Passat Water Ingress - stuartl
Low modulus silicone is designed for sealing to glass, plastics etc. There is certainly no need to spend £12 a tube on it! A tube of low modulus silicone will set you back about £4 from a builders merchants or about half of that from a building plastics (fascia, gutter, soffit) suppliers.

Pollen filter gaskets in VW's are a worldwide renowned **** design!
Thanks for all your help fellas. WIll let you know how it goes.

Lenny