Diesel-89.9ppl - Martin1981
Good to see the price of diesel has dropped slightly- 89.9 pence per litre at my local Tesco this morning. Car running on fumes, doing my weekly shop, I'll have some of that please. Read in the paper that demand for diesel is lower than usual this winter due to the ongoing mild weather and has resulted in the price drop.

Martin
Diesel-89.9ppl - local yokel
It's been 90.5 at my local Jet for the past week.
Diesel-89.9ppl - lakelad
Although I have no technical knowledge, I have read in the past that supermarket fuel (although cheap) is bad for engines in the long term. It would be interesting to hear from the experts.
Diesel-89.9ppl - mss1tw
Now you've gone and done it. ;o)
Diesel-89.9ppl - Xileno {P}
Do a Forum Search - it's been discussed to oblivion and beyond.
This one should keep you busy for a while, probably many others as well:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=41...8
Diesel-89.9ppl - mrnikko
Total rubbish all fuel is made to british standard alot of stuff written about my fuel is better than yours is all marketing hype.
Morrisons get shell fuel in the north from Ince do you reguard that as cheap fuel ? no neither do I.
I work in the fuel supply industry by the way.
Fuel is coming down due to mild winter though.
Diesel-89.9ppl - Martin1981
I fill up at Tesco more often than not and I'm pretty sure they use Esso fuel, especially given that a lot of Esso petrol stations form part of Tesco Express stores. No matter where I fill up, Shell, Esso, supermarkets, I always seem to get around 40mpg around town and around 48-50mpg on long runs in the 306TD. A little more in the summer months usually though.

Martin
Diesel-89.9ppl - Hamsafar
My Father had a very good job over a long period of time at one of the large fuel companies, and was familiar with all departments and areas of the company and what they did. He said that from the mid 1980s, despite what the marketting department would portray, the fuel was made to meet the standards and nothing more, nothing was given away, and making it meet the standards and meet the customer's expectations for the cheapest cost. The same happened when sold to the garages, it would be supplied relatively warm and then it would cool in their underground tanks, making them lose a fair bit as it contracted! Then when sold to the end user, the pumps were accurately calibrated to give short measures by the maximum amount 0.1% alowed by Weights & Measures.
Diesel-89.9ppl - ForumNeedsModerating
Diesel 94.5 ppl in my neck of the (literal) woods, U/L 89.5 (Tesco & Shell)
Indies 4ppl

I've heard some organic chickens aren't (whisper it) actually organic & that some banks don't comply (in spirit) with the banking code of practice or heaven forfend, some politicians are crooks...splutter....and... one famous dcotor of recent times didn't want to prolong the life of his patients!

Phew, It's just a relief to know those good ole' oil companies & retailers, all give us the correct, to the last British Standard scintilla, fuel for our vehicles . Price? nah, it's all the same - why should fuel be any different?
Well, 'cos they like 'ave to innit!

Diesel-89.9ppl - kingfisher
Tesco cornflakes aint as good as Kellogg's though !
Diesel-89.9ppl - legacylad
Oh yes they are
Diesel-89.9ppl - Roly93
Although I have no technical knowledge, I have read in the
past that supermarket fuel (although cheap) is bad for engines in
the long term. It would be interesting to hear from
the experts.

Youve just hit on the most discussed topic on just about every motoring bulletin board on the web next to perhaps speed cameras !
Nobody seems to really know the true answer to the question thats why. All base diesel fuel is the same as it comes from the refinery although the spec for diesel is nowhere near as exact as the one for petrol. Where the argument seems to lie is in the additive pack in the diesel. Some people say that tanker drivers delivering to supermarkets use a different additive pack when collecting fuel from the distibution centre. I dont think anyone has yet proved or dis-proved this theory.
Diesel-89.9ppl - FP
I don't think it's just a theory. A chap I used to speak to from time to time was a tanker driver from the now (for the time being, at least) defunct Buncefield oil depot, working for BP. He said quite categorically that the fuel for the various brands came from the same set of storage tanks, the only difference being the stuff (i.e. the additives) the distributing drivers, working for the individual firms, put in the tankers before they drove away. I have no reason to doubt his veracity.
Diesel-89.9ppl - Murphy The Cat
I've just paid 87.5 ppl for 2600lt diesel and it's the first time in a looong time that bulk buying has been cheaper than the supermarkets.

MTC
Diesel-89.9ppl - jc2
Irrespective of the name on the front of the petrol sataion,a lot of them use so-called "white-pump" fuel which will be an unmarked tanker from any refining depot;that was the cause of Vauxhall problems a few years ago where the tanker driver was supposed to add the fuel additives himself-the first tank got some,so did the second but by the time he'd got to the fifth tank on the tanker he'd still got half a can on of additive-it all went in the last tank and caused engine problems.
Diesel-89.9ppl - Frogeye
So the 300C has a tank to match its physical size :)
So the 300C has a tank to match its physical size
:)

The best I've managed is 78 lts of BP Ultimate when it was 104.9 plt.
But, at least the big lad gives me 35 mpg from each tank of mixed motoring - and 40 mpg on an extended run.
Theoretically, I could get 700 mils from a tank, but that would be pushing things a bit.
MTC
Diesel-89.9ppl - JH
MTC
blimey I've just ordered 2,300 litres for my heating oil tank (at 27.95, not bad) and I thought that was a lot. Still if you will drive that CC (drool...). Did you speak to Mike the Money by the way after his appeal for info on used prices?
JH
If Mike the Money is the Telegraph man, yes I did (well I replied on the reply here section after the article) & surprise, surprise, my comments were never printed.

& another 300C owner that wrote in never had his replies printed either.

Did you speak
to Mike the Money by the way after his appeal for
info on used prices?
JH

MTC
Diesel-89.9ppl - turbo11
Good to see the price of diesel has dropped slightly- 89.9
pence per litre at my local Tesco this morning. Car running
on fumes, doing my weekly shop, I'll have some of that
please. Read in the paper that demand for diesel is lower
than usual this winter due to the ongoing mild weather and
has resulted in the price drop.
Martin

>>
They obviously haven't experienced the mild winter in my area where all the garages have diesel still at 95.9p and unleaded 89.5p
Diesel-89.9ppl - madf
Expect further falls: crude oil has fallen 10% in a week.
madf
Diesel-89.9ppl - JH
and Russia's just turned the tap off so don't bet on it. Prices can move in 2 directions!
JH
Diesel-89.9ppl - artful dodger {P}
The current price of petrol and diesel should fall further as crude oil has fallen from $78 a barrel 18 months ago down to below $54 yesterday. OPEC are getting concerned as it could fall further.

Last month OPEC agreed to cut oil output by 500,000 barrels per day (bpd) from February 1, adding to a reduction of 1.2m bpd from November. But this has failed to halt the falling price, down almost 11pc this year. OPEC would like to keep crude at about $60 a barrel, with top producer Saudi Arabia aiming for between $55-$65.
With no clear signal that OPEC will agree a strategy soon, there was an expectation yesterday that some speculators would begin testing the $50 a barrel threshold.

tinyurl.com/yfwfvm

The delay in reducing prices has been critised by the motoring organisations as being too slow compared to when prices were rising. Lets hope the campaign works and prices fall further. No doubt Gordon Brown will take an active interest.

--
Roger
I read frequently, but only post when I have something useful to say.
Diesel-89.9ppl - madf
I expect we could see $50.. inventories are high and no political nasties at present.
madf
Diesel-89.9ppl - JH
a
I hope so but it only takes a suicide bomber or the President of Venezuela to have a huff and up it goes again. I'm hoping it's heading South but I'm just saying it's not a certainty. Then again I've filled my oil tank (1. I had to 2. I'm hedging my bets) so it's definitely on it's way down!
JH
Diesel-89.9ppl - PhilW
Fantastic, 89.9p a litre.
Last weekend in France filled up at 0.99 euro a litre - about 66p?
Crude oil prices don't have that much effect here - we need a fall in the Gordon Brown price.
--
Phil