Steering Mechanism: Click - Robert
Hi,

My Omega ('98) has developed an irritating click in the steering over the last few weeks. It dosn't do it all the time and is more of a feeling through the wheel. Initially I thought it was caused by a worn suspension bush but had all these changed today when I had new shocks fitted. Despite being worn, the bush (all 4 in the front suspension) change hasn't made any differencen - to this problem anyway.

So, I guess the next thing to suspect is one of the many ball joints in the steering linkage mechanism - of which the Haynes manual shows quite a few.

My question is, how do I go about pinning down which joint is at fault? Changing all of them will be expensive and a big hammer to crack a nut - although you are supposed to get the tracking etc. done after changing any steering component so I'm after opinions from those of you in the trade/in the know about these things.

Please don't get me wrong, its not a major clunk - just something that is irritating me and I'd rather wasn't there - just like income tax really.

In anticipation .......... Robert
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - pete
Do you only get the noise on full lock?
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - Robert
Not FULL lock, but certainly making turns into side roads.

I took it in for an MOT today - and got the tester to check all the linkage points - all seemed to be ok.

As it was a Vx dealer they also said it might be the steering UJ - or the column bushes - they won't know for sure though until they come to change them - as always the labour is the killer.

Thanks for your feedback.
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - El Dingo (Martin)
But Pete is right - this could still be a CV joint failure, and they don't necessarily click only on full lock in my experience.

Martin.
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - Mike H
Could be a worn universal joint - not sure if that's what you meany by "one of the many ball joints in the steering linkage mechanism". I had an obscure problem on my old Saab 900 years ago which was due to a broken roller in the joint.
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - Paul
Robert

Is the problem a "sticking" feeling as you turn the steering wheel, which suddenly disappears with a "click"?

If so, it's a common Vauxhall problem, often easily cured.

I used to experience it in a Cavalier Turbo. Nothing showed up at MoT time, so I lived with it for a long time. Didn't know the cause until I noticed an article in Car Mechanics, Feb 2002.

Seems they bought a Calibra 16v & covered refurbishment over several months. The final article mentioned this sticking sensation as follows :

"........chatting to Courtenay Sport, I mentioned the steering problem. Turns out that it's something that they've seen plenty of times, and almost every time they've sorted it out by using a product that revives the (power steering) fluid and oil seals in the system, while also unblocking oilways. The product is Forte Power Steering Treatment (tel 02476 474069), which costs just £10. Best of all, it worked. The steering is now much smoother, and never gives that worrying sticking feeling."

Might be worth giving Courtenay Sport a call as well. They have a technical helpline. See www.courtenaysport.co.uk.
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - Robert
Thanks Paul - I might just do that .....

Regards
Steering Mechanism: Click - David Lacey
On the other hand it could be the steering rack itself..............
Re: Steering Mechanism: Click - Mike Harvey
My wifes old Carlton does the same thing, but I'm pretty certain it is the steering lock mechanism clicking. I've had it all apart because the thought of it locking up horrified me, but cannot see anything wrong. It's been like it for 3 years now.
Mike