Legal Eagle Help - Sherwood
Recently my Daughter-in-Law was travelling along the M62 at peak hour.On the opposite side of the motorway,a lorry laden with wood shed part of its load and continued on its way. Pieces of 3x2 bounced along the motorway over the central reservation,hit the bonnet of her car went through the windscreen at face hight at an angle,smashed the sun visor and embedded itself in the roof inches away from her face,causing her facial injury.Another piece went through the passenger side removed the tax disk and stopped at chest hight about a foot from the passenger seat.NO OTHER DRIVER SAW THE ACCIDENT they must have had their eyes closed.Eventually a motorist stopped and called the emergency services on his mobile. She has now lost her NCB and had to pay the first £350 of the accident The question to my saga is how does one contact the M I B? To try and refund damages.Any help anyone can give.
Re: Legal Eagle Help - Steve G
Not sure what you are trying to acheive but if you have legal advice with your insurance policy (most people do) you could ask thier advice.
Does this stretch of motorway have cameras ? might worth contacting the traffic division who keep watch. Perhaps they keep tapes ?
Re: Legal Eagle Help - richard turpin
She should be prosecute for having no tax disc.
Re: Legal Eagle Help - Sherwood
Thanks for the advice Richard and learn to spell
Re: Legal Eagle Help - Andrew
Have you seen the price of 3 x 2????

Seriously this shows how vulnerable we all are and your daughter-in-law had a lucky escape. Had she been actually struck by the wood the consequences could have been far more dire. Would anyone have been held accountable - no.
So have some sympathy for your much maligned traffic cop.

Was the incident reported to the Police?

As far as your MIB claim is concerned as far as I am aware there are only two types of claim that can be made against the MIB.

1. Injury - accident driver/vehicle/owner not traced.
2. Non injury - driver traced but uninsured.

In other words if the driver/vehicle/owner is not identified the MIB will not entertain a claim.

I know where I can lay my hands on the address but its at work.

Andrew.
Yes it was reported Andrew. The Police and Ambulance services were required as she needed hospital treatment.If you could get the address for me I would appreciate it.Although she has Legal Protection,Her insurance company as yet are not forthcoming hence the fact I am looking for advice.As I want to get my facts and information correct.
Fings coming over da barrier - Flat in Fifth
Andrew wrote
"So have some sympathy for your much maligned traffic cop."

AIB van on the way to an incident, funnily enough it was also west bound on the M62, travelling quite quickly, well OK then absolutely harry flatters, maybe even flat in fifth? ;-) (it *was* an Astramax)

Anyway a Beemer on the eastbound side attacked the central armco at a fair old rate of knots and highish incident angle. Van driver sees the beemer rise up in the air, and start to somersault over the top, so welly is kept hard down. Beemer landed in lane 3 westbound behind AIB van, rest of journey to incident accompanied by strange smell from van occupants.
Got it.

Motor Insurers Bureau
Linford Wood House
6-10 Capital Drive
Linford Wood
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XT

Try www.mib.org.uk all the info and forms are on there.

Andrew.
Just seen this one .Thanks Andrew
Got it.

Motor Insurers Bureau
Linford Wood House
6-10 Capital Drive
Linford Wood
Milton Keynes
MK14 6XT

Try www.mib.org.uk all the info and forms are on there.

Now I have read your original thread properly I see your Daughter-in-law was injured and the emergency services attended. Whoops, please excuse my flipency, not appropriate in the circumstances.

In this case MIB could compensate for injury but not damage to vehicle. Injuries would require to be something substantial I belive.

Might be worth consulting a solicitor. Perhaps 'Pug Ugly' could give some input.

Andrew.
Re: Legal Eagle Help - Mark (Brazil)
This is the website containing what you need to know,

www.mib.org.uk/index.asp?

In addition... Tel: 01908 830001 may be more convenient for you than the website.

It also contains the forms for untraced driver claims [also uninsured driver, but that´s not relevant to you].

This paragraph is particularly relevant..

"The Untraced Drivers Agreement is the Agreement between MIB and the DTLR under which MIB compensates the victims (for personal injury only) of negligent motorists who remain untraced."

Compensation is not paid in the same way that may happen if you were able to find and sue the offending driver. The payments are lower, less borad, and typically not worthwhile unless substantial loos or injury was involved.

I suggest that you call them and have a chat with an advisor. This will point you toward a course of action.

Feel free to come back here if you need more.

Mark.
Thanhs for the info Mark
Re: Legal Eagle Help - Mark (Brazil)
- sorry Andrew, I didn´t mean to duplicate your efforts, I didn't read the whole thread.