Mercedes E220 CDI nightmare - Colin Odell
It has now been confirmed, in writing by Mercedes, that water gets into the dash board. They say " its not a fault but a characteristic" and it is not enough
to damage component parts!
Well I have already had a new Blower motor for ACC, new dash board screen
and computer relay which are housed under the dash.
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that you do not need any damp
atmosphere in a electronic compartment.
Maybe thats why I have computer problems, like power failure for no obvious
reasons, when travelling at 70 mph on motorways. Then the dealer says
that there is no problem with the car although I've nearly killed myself. AND
they are not interested in trying to sort it out for their VALUED CUSTOMER.
AND I'm not the only one, I know of many other owners not happy. On the
verge of going to court.
Anybody else out there with similar problems?
Colin
Re: Mercedes E220 CDI nightmare - Rita
Would the relevant Sale of Goods Act which states that something has to be fit for the purpose have any relevance in a case like this?

As to Mercedes confirming that " that water gets into the dash board" and defining this as "not a fault but a characteristic" and adding further that this is not enough to damage component parts; I would want to know

a) how they define fault, i.e. inherent design fault, component fault, inferior materials, construction fault.

b) how do they know that "it is not enough to damage component parts". How much water getting into the dash is required before component parts are damaged. The implication in their statement seems to be is that not enough water is getting through (how do they knbow this without research/testing) but if sufficient water was to get through then damage to component parts could ensue.

b) was this characteristic one which was specifically designed to enhance the performance of the car.

c) is this characteristic one which they would consider to be a factor well worth advertising in sales literature; if not, why not.

If you are in contact with the other unhappy Mercedes owners would a threat of wider publicity help your cases. Is a class action possible in cases like this.

Many, many questions spring to mind.

Best of luck,

Rita
Re: Mercedes E220 CDI nightmare - Honest John
That's what The Backroom is for. If Colin can find other owners with similar problems, he substantiates his case.

HJ
Re: Mercedes E220 CDI nightmare - Rita
Colin,

Another thought - Would it be possible for your post be translated into German, French, Dutch etc and posted on all sites similar to this, maybe even dedicated Mercedes sites?

There must be enough expertise i.e multilingual web surfers out there that could assist.

The wider european market might throw up enough examples to back your case.

One last thing - if as stated by Mercedes that rain water doesn't cause component problems would it be unreasonable to suppose that the fault therefore lies totally within the bowels of the computer. For example, either (I coin a phrase here but it seems relevant) piss-poor programming or just inferior micro chippery.

Go to it,

Rita