Car for my sister - stunorthants26
Shes decided to sell her MG and get something that doesnt cost £900 a year to insure!
Her budget is strictly £5800 - her priorities are low running costs, esp insurance and servicing and something that will do atleast 45mpg around town, reliability and reasonable comfort. A diesel would suit her driving style best and she is keen on a 2002-2003 Yaris diesel - any other options?

Reliability is key here so she doesnt want a car with built in faults which from what ive been reading, seem to affect the majority of cars these days, so definatly nothing french for a start. The list of recalls on the VAG cars seems to be long aswell which is a worry.
Even the Yaris can have HGF issues - what can guarantee good service as while her MGF has been reliable, its been a full time job keeping it honest and she wants a car that doesnt involve too much checking of levels and worrying about every noise.

Any suggestions?
Car for my sister - Oliver.P

I would recommend a Skoda Fabia 1.9 TDI 100PS- loads of power and 55-60 MPG. Mine has been reliable and good to drive, although a bit more steering feel would be nice. The insurance and road tax is cheap as chips as well.
It worries me about the long, long list of bad points that HJ has in the CbC section - doesnt come across as a good choice on paper, hence I wasnt sure about VAG TDis.
Car for my sister - Oliver.P

Most of the problems listed are related to either problems with the 1.4 MPI engine, or timing belt issues on the 1.4 16V. No mention of TDI 100PS problems .

Also as quoted in the CBC, "Came 4th = from top in 2005 JD Power/What Car Survey of 23,000 cars reg Sep 2002 to Aug 2003 with satisfaction score of 84.7%". I think its a good report; As you said yourself, even Yaris's can suffer hgf!

I have 6 friends/family who have run VAG TDIs for years (a probable cumulative milage of 300,000) with virtually no problems, which although may not very representitive is still a good record.

Buying a car for a sister/member of family has the potential to go sadly wrong if the car you recommend is lemon. I just hope the Renault Scenic I bought on the behalf of my sister-in-law is reliable! It is nice to be able to help but it is worth reminding the purchaser that any car can go wrong.

Good Luck!

Car for my sister - spikeyhead {p}
"car for my sister?"

Can we have a more detailed description of your sister before arranging a swap? :-)

I'll get me coat
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Car for my sister - oldgit
I am having trouble with my sister too. She bought ,with my help, a Ford Fieste 1.4 Zetec climate (slightly used) in 2005. Our view of the car is that it is very agricultural with an unremittingly gloomy, cheap looking interior and is far worse than the previous Fiesta with its smooth 1.25 litre 16v engine. It did not help that neither of us realised that this model has an unpleasant hard ride exacerbated by its stupid low profile tyres on those ubiquitous alloy wheels.

I am now trying to persuade her into buying perhaps a new shape Clio or Corso although the trouble is that both of these cars are now larger than their predecessors which makes garaging them (an old fashioned concept, I know) more difficult. I realise that both of these new cars are probably miles ahead in comfort and sophistication compared with those that they have replaced. Perhaps the Skoda Fabia would also be a good choice?
Car for my sister - R75
My sister is just looking to change out of her Golf TDI, She is looking at the Kia Carens 2ltr Diesel, they seem good value (used) and I was quite impressed when I had a look at one.
Well, with nothing better to do today, the day after Boxing day, we both sauntered along to our nearest Vauxhall dealer and had a butchers at the new shape Corsa. As always, cars in showrooms look much larger than expected and overall impressions were, at first, quite favourable.

When I sat inside however, I was immeditately aware of the low roof line and lack of headroom and quite aghast at the overly steeply raked windscreen which had the effect of making the horizontal part of the fascia seemingly go on forever toward the front of the car. I would imagine this would make the cleaning of the inside of the glass quite difficult to do (a fetish of mine, I might add).

In other respects the design of the interior was an improvement, perhaps, over the old Corsa although there is, of course, evidence of poor switch design and placement, pinched from the new Astra, making the central console a bit of a disaster, as is the Astra's, unfortunately. My sister, who is very hard to please and adapt to new motors, did not like it at all and said that she preferred the new, old Corsa sitting outside the showroom although these only seem to be available in the 1.2 litre version.

Ah well, on to another maker's showroom!
Car for my sister - daveyjp
"the horizontal part of the fascia seemingly go on forever toward the front of the car"

Most new cars are like this due to the requirements of NCAP testing.
"the horizontal part of the fascia seemingly go on forever toward
the front of the car"
Most new cars are like this due to the requirements of
NCAP testing.

Most? A high proportion, probably, however mine doesn't (new Golf) or is that considered old hat now?
Car for my sister - PandaFan
How about a "new" Fiat Panda? I've got the petrol version but I understand that the diesel has had very good reports. Great to drive and cheap to run and insure!
Shes decided to look seriously at a Ford Puma 1.6 on account of the great feedback its got from here and elsewhere - she likes the style and running costs, plus theres loads about, so she will not have to buy the first she sees.
Car for my sister - lakelad
Has she considered a Jazz ? Very reliable, very economical and practical (but not as much fun as a Puma obviously).